Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Suburu Outback Legacy
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends!

I've been learning how to fix car lights over the past 4-5 years. My cars just seem to be cursed with short-lived circuits, or something.

So, both the fog lights aren't working.

I got replacement bulbs, and tried on one side, but no luck. I didn't bother opening the 2nd one and trying. When I pushed the button by the cruise control (I'm PRETTY sure this is the one that's supposed to turn on the fog lights,
right?), nothing happened.

I've also tried changing the 15v blue fuse in position 7 (Again, pretty sure this is the fog light fuse, based on the internet), and that also didn't seem to work.

What's my next step? Replacing the entire headlamp? Is it worth it? Do I need my fog lights?

Thanks a ton,
Sarah

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,358 Posts
in subarus the fogs only work with the low beams, not high beams or the daytime running lights. (unless someone has done some tinkering to make them work)

don't just presume #7 is the fuse. read the inside of the fuse box on your particular car, and in the owners manual for your particular car.

swap fuses in the box at your knee and under the hood.

on my cars I have had to change light bulbs in pairs occasionally, as one bad one overfeeds the other and ruins it too.
I have 2x 2002 outbacks and happy I have never had to "dig" into the fog lights to swap a bulb....although I use them often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your reply!!

Ok, I've now replaced the 2nd light bulb as well, and tried turning on all variations of lights. Low, high, etc, and the fog lights still don't turn on.

The fuse is #7, and it's OK, (I tried swapping it with a shiny new one,)

...however, there was a fuse labeled in the box under the hood which wasn't listed in the owner's manuel. (Thanks for that hint!)
I'm posting a picture:

Could this F-Fog Relay be the source of my problems? Seems like it would be the next step! My local car-parts store has one in stock.

Thanks for your advice! It's good to know they don't work in certain circumstances. :)

-Sarah

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,358 Posts
yes. relays occasionally go bad, and sometimes buzz. (my 2002 H4 car makes some buzzing from the DRL relay when the engine is off and the key on, ...does not seem to hurt anything)

other than that.... @plain OM etc may have some ideas on what to check / swap next.

and moving thread out of new member section.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,358 Posts
is this a US / Canada spec 2000 legacy outback wagon / sedan, (6 cylinder / 4 cylinder )

or a impreza outback sport.

where in the wide world of sports is it ?

(your fog light button pic looks very odd vs. my cars)

edit: whoops, the title of this thread does say "legacy outback" location can be kind of important though. as North American spec 2000 = world spec 1999, and there can be major / minor wiring differences based on where the car was sold originally.

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i 4EAT; Eastern Ontario, Canada
16,525 Posts
@leSahra

In addition to eagleeye's questions . . .

How long have you had this car?

Have you ever tried the fog lights before, and did they work?

Do the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) work? (With the engine running and parking brake Off, the low beam headlights should be on at reduced brightness when the Headlight Switch is at Off.)

Do the headlights work, both the low beams and the high beams when selected?

The fog light relay is a possibility, although not common.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,358 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi friends!

I've been learning how to fix car lights over the past 4-5 years. My cars just seem to be cursed with short-lived circuits, or something.

So, both the fog lights aren't working.

I got replacement bulbs, and tried on one side, but no luck. I didn't bother opening the 2nd one and trying. When I pushed the button by the cruise control (I'm PRETTY sure this is the one that's supposed to turn on the fog lights, View attachment 472289 right?), nothing happened.

I've also tried changing the 15v blue fuse in position 7 (Again, pretty sure this is the fog light fuse, based on the internet), and that also didn't seem to work.

What's my next step? Replacing the entire headlamp? Is it worth it? Do I need my fog lights?

Thanks a ton,
Sarah
Check your foglight relay as well. Your AC relay is the same. If you have AC, swap the relay with the foglight relay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@eagleeye - Here's all the info I could pull off my VIN in photos - I don't know what cylinder, etc. How would I find that out if this info isn't enough?

Also, the pic of the foglight button was pulled off the internet, not from my car. I just wanted to make sure I had the right symbol for "fog lights," and it was the same symbol as my car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@plain OM
I've had the car a little over 2 years, and it's almost at 200,000 mi.

I believe the fog lights worked before, but I couldn't be 100% sure.

I don't know if the daylight running lights work - I'll check!

Both headlights work - I just replaced both bulbs recently.

@Stericycle - good idea! I'll try that.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,358 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
@plain OM
I've had the car a little over 2 years, and it's almost at 200,000 mi.

I believe the fog lights worked before, but I couldn't be 100% sure.

I don't know if the daylight running lights work - I'll check!

Both headlights work - I just replaced both bulbs recently.

@Stericycle - good idea! I'll try that.
One other rhing i just remembered. If tou have a automatic they probably wont turn on if left in park. Subaru did some funny ****. Glove box light wont work unless lights are on and cig lighter has no constant power. These too i rewired so i have power when car is off. And yes the light still goes off when the glove box is closed...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One other rhing i just remembered. If tou have a automatic they probably wont turn on if left in park. Subaru did some funny ****. Glove box light wont work unless lights are on and cig lighter has no constant power. These too i rewired so i have power when car is off. And yes the light still goes off when the glove box is closed...
Oh. My. Goodness. Subaru. That would have been super helpful to know, and really tricky to test when I'm trying to fix it on my own. I'll assume it works in neutral, and maybe I could put the parking break on? Or maybe put a mirror up in front of the car so I can see if it's working from the driver's seat?

So the car had to go into the shop for other reasons yesterday, (the gas pedal stopped working on the freeway, and that's a little above my paygrade,) but if my guy doesn't fix the lights, I'll try all the other stuff!

Thanks so much for your help! This is my new favorite website.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts