Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought my 2000 Outback Limited, I love it and am really happy. Being a Limited, it has the dual moonroofs. While test driving I was able to get the rear moonroof cover open.

I bought it last week, and now when I try to open the rear moonroof cover, it's "stuck". If I use the power moonroof and open the moonroof it will pull the cover back as it opens. However when I close the moonroof it pulls the cover along, and I cannot push it back.

I've tried gently and not so gently pushing it back. I've tried to push it up and back, and I can get it to pop up an inch, but it still won't push back. Very aggrevating especially because I want the light shining in.

Help me out, save me from my frustration!

Thanks so much in advance!

Matt

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Hi Matt, Have you tried spraying a little silicone lube into the tracks it runs in when it's fully back with the rear moonroof open? Might be worth a try. I have the AUS 04 / US 05and the cover slides very freely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Moonroof sunshield

Matt:
I have found on mine (an '01) that the sunshield can be opened and closed at will when the roof is fully closed. If you have the sun shield open (or closed), when you open the rear roof panel, the sun shield will move with the panel and be virtually inseparable until the rear roof is fully closed again. Exactly why this is I have not checked, nor really worried about. The way it works, you cannot close the shield while the roof is open, and have to go through one cycle of closing the roof if you want to be able to reopen the shield more than the roof is open.
Clear as mud?

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Re: Moonroof sunshield

Valkaru said:
Matt:
I have found on mine (an '01) that the sunshield can be opened and closed at will when the roof is fully closed. If you have the sun shield open (or closed), when you open the rear roof panel, the sun shield will move with the panel and be virtually inseparable until the rear roof is fully closed again. Exactly why this is I have not checked, nor really worried about. The way it works, you cannot close the shield while the roof is open, and have to go through one cycle of closing the roof if you want to be able to reopen the shield more than the roof is open.
Clear as mud?
Yes I should have mentioned that too, I find it rather annoying as in the not so hot weather I often like the have the front part tilt opened and the sunshield closed, can't do this on the Subaru, could on my Mazda 6 though. Basically unless the glass is totally closed the sunshield won't move freely.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still no worky, Thanks for your replies

Thanks to all who read and replied, I really appreciate it.

Running the moonroofs through a few complete open and close cycles, I still cannot get the cover (AKA shade) to close. So aggrevating.

If I open the rear moonroof to the halfway point, it correctly pulls the cover along. It stops at the halfway point. If I try to move the cover at this point, I can get maybe two inches of play back and forth. I continue opening the moonroof and it continues to push back.

When I close the rear moonroof (and the front one that's flipped up, just in case though I imagine it isn't neccessary) it pulls the cover along. I cannot move the cover at all. I can push it upwards towards the moonroof maybe half an inch, but that's it. No back and forth at all. I tried looked at the mechanism frm above and there's nothing within site that is holding it, whatever is holding it is mroe towards the rear of the moonroof. Aaaahhhhh!!!

·
Registered
'98 Outback Limited Wagon
2 Posts
stuck rear moonroof shade

I know its been along time since you posted this message, but I was wondering if you ever got the shade unstuck? I have just bought a '98 Outback limited and you just descibed my problem to a tee. Even the part about missing the sunlight coming in. Thought I'd post a question for the gurus, but maybe you've had better luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I"m in the same situation, while test driving my "new" 2000 it worked, now it just travels with the powered glass. can't get the shade to move otherwise. help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rear Moonroof shade

I guess I am the only one with a fully 'functional' shade that has been reading this thread, so here is what more I have found:
The rear moonroof has a pair of spring loaded fingers (one on each side) located almost centered on the roof and pointed down. I can see each finger when the shade is open, and the fingers point towards the front of the car, extending ~3/4" below the roof frame (not the headliner). When the rear roof is opened, it angles down and basically drops ~ 1/2" (I did not measure) below the line of the roof, and these fingers are then riding against the shade itself. With the shade open, the fingers hang down until they come past the shaft, fold up to clear the shade, and then spring back down. Once the roof is past the shade, I cannot actually see the fingers so this is an educated guess. These fingers are what pulls the shade closed when the roof is being closed. I assume that there is another set of fingers in the rear (maybe not spring loaded) that open the shade with the roof, but when the glass is closed, these fingers do not touch the shade.
For those if you with a challenge, my guess would be one of the two sets of fingers is contacting when it should not. I cannot close the shade when the roof is even partially opened, it is locked to the roof. The question becomes how do you disengage the fingers without destroying something. I would guess that if you drop the headliner, you may be able to get to these fingers and fix or disengage them.
My shade is nearly flush with my headliner, I wonder if those offending shades are riding on top of their tracks and closing the distance with the roof 'fingers'.
Probably no help to anyone, but before you start jamming screwdrivers in open places, you will not be able to hit the fingers for the closing mechanism.
Speed Safely! David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm

I had actually forgotten about this thread, although I would be interested to know if the challenge was fixed and how. I have cleared 103K miles on my 2001 and the moonroof is starting to act a bit funky, but no shade challenge yet. When I push the button to open or close, it does not always engage the drive mechanism immediately. I can tell something is happening, as there is some static on my radio, so maybe the drive motor is getting tired:(. Just an observation, now back to your regularly scheduled programming;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts