Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My 20000 Outback with 5sp manual trani has a clacking type of noise that happens while the car is moving. Does not matter if in neutral or in gear, engine off or on. It gets louder as speed increases, start to notice about 20mph. Almost sounds like gears clanking together. I put the car on jack stands, crawled under listened to sound while wife kept car wheels spinning at 30mph. Sounds come from the part of the trani where the shifter attaches. Not sure what you call that area. I put a stereoscopic to it and it seems to be louder toward the area where the rear drive axle attaches. I d not know much about trani, did check the oil and it was full, color looked ok. I need help on this one. Any thoughts or ideas is appreciated by all you fellow outbackers

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having this same issue.
My Subaru Outback has started making a chattering/scraping noise from the gear shift area. It sounds like something is scraping against the drive shaft. I looked under it yesterday and I did not see any evidence of anything contacting the drive shaft. It doesn't matter if I have the clutch engaged or disengaged. It doesn't matter if I am accelerating or slowing down to trigger the noise. It does seem to be associated with speed in the sense that when the noise does happen, the noise lasts longer when I am going slow and shorter when I am going fast. I do not feel anything unusual in the clutch pedal. There has been no chainge other than the noise. I pulled up the shifter surround and found nothing unusuall there. I drove without the surround and it definitly sounds like it is coming from somewhere close to that area.
It is a 2001 5 speed Outback. 255k on the clock. 160k on the engine and clutch. Clutch still feels great.
Any suggestions? I do not think it is the clutch because the noise happens regardless of if it is in gear or out of gear or neutral.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Wow, I wouldn't get under a car running at 30MPH on jack stands. But then again my wife of 23 years is sick of me - rim shot.

Not an expert in any sense of the word. Simplest question first: Have either of you changed your transmission fluid using and OEM filter? I'd start there, http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/5843-changing-automatic-transmission-fluid-easy.html It's probably something much more complicated, but I always start with the easiest and cheapest option first - pragmatic cheapskate that I am. Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 outback ej25 manual trans
52 Posts
Any noise or concern about your trany should start with a fluid flush. check your drain pulg to see if the magnet has collected metal shavings. after putting new fluid in see if your noise is still there. if it does not fix it the trans are rebuildable or replaceable.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I wouldn't get under a car running at 30MPH on jack stands. But then again my wife of 23 years is sick of me - rim shot.

Not an expert in any sense of the word. Simplest question first: Have either of you changed your transmission fluid using and OEM filter? I'd start there, http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/5843-changing-automatic-transmission-fluid-easy.html It's probably something much more complicated, but I always start with the easiest and cheapest option first - pragmatic cheapskate that I am. Good luck.
Hi, It is a manual trani not auto.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any noise or concern about your trany should start with a fluid flush. check your drain pulg to see if the magnet has collected metal shavings. after putting new fluid in see if your noise is still there. if it does not fix it the trans are rebuildable or replaceable.
Hi, the manual trani fluid looked great. I will flush it just to be on the safe side. Any recommendations for the fluid, brand, type, etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am begining to think it might be the drive shaft bearing(mid-ship bearing), the bearing on the output side for the drive shaft, or throw out bearing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts