Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds like a familiar problem, but I have yet to discover the answer. My OB started one morning, as per usual, and about 30 seconds after starting, it quit(cranks,no start). There seems to be no spark (cranked with #1 & again on #3) I have checked to see if it's a fuel delivery issue(haven't checked exact pressure) I have replaced cam and crank sensors as well as coil, and swapped ecu from a known runner. I've verified continuity from the ecu to the coil. Not entirely sure where to go next. I'm going to continue checking wiring, any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,321 Posts
What have you done to prove there is no spark or no fuel?

If you have compression fuel and spark at the correct time the engine will run.

How many miles has the vehicle traveled and when is it due for a timing belt kit?

To easily eliminate fuel as the problem you can try spraying some “engine start“ into the air cleaner and then starting the engine. If it starts with engine starter you have confirmed you have a fuel problem.

Seagrass

Reactions: johnre

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,661 Posts
Translation: Australian "Engine start" = US "Starting fluid"

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,321 Posts
Thanks @johnre I am still coming to terms with all the subtle differences.

In Australia the common term has become “Start ya Ba$tard” as some entrepreneur decided the product should be called what Australians are saying when they are using it.

Internet link provided BUT not allowed by forum.

Seagrass

Reactions: johnre

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have pulled plug number 1 to engine ground, I've done the same on 3.
I know this sounds like a familiar problem, but I have yet to discover the answer. My OB started one morning, as per usual, and about 30 seconds after starting, it quit(cranks,no start). There seems to be no spark (cranked with #1 & again on #3) I have checked to see if it's a fuel delivery issue(haven't checked exact pressure) I have replaced cam and crank sensors as well as coil, and swapped ecu from a known runner. I've verified continuity from the ecu to the coil. Not entirely sure where to go next. I'm going to continue checking wiring, any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked for spark on #1 & #3 by grounding a new plug on the block ground just to the left of the coil. No spark on either, I have the air cleaner pulled and have tried starting fluid straight onto the throttle body, to no avail. The engine has 224k, timing and head gaskets done at 180k, getting close again I'm sure, timing belt is still in tact. My next step is to continue tracing wires back to verify there are no shorts. The engine, as it cranks does not sound like it has lost compression(sounds the same on start up as before).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts