Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all, my name is Tom and I am a new member in need of help. My wife and I purchased a used 2000 Subaru Outback. We just had four new tires installed yesterday and they said we should do an alignment as well. We agreed to have it done and after waiting nearly two hours they informed us they could only do the front because the rear adjusting cams were seized. They said they could not do the job as all they do is tires and alignments, not actual repairs.
My question is, should a basic handyman / backyard mechanic attempt to replace these items, or is this a big time job for the dealership? I really would love to see a DIY video, or at least some step by step photo's. These would give me an idea of how involved this repair may be and then I can decide if it is for me or not. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Tom.

·
Registered
2000 outback, 97 impreza
8 Posts
This is going to be a big job...besides the camber adjustments being seized the bushings and 12" bolt through them at the other end of the lateral arms will probably be seized too. expect to buy 4 new arms , 8 bushings, 2 of the 12" bolts and some other hardware. about 4 hours of labor and an oxy/acetylene torch will also be needed.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
mowparz,

As Mitsumodder stated, this could be a big job, requiring some parts replacements, but maybe not. You need to find a good independent mechanic who can put some heat carefully on the adjusters and various bolts to free them up. Carefully means, so as to not melt any bushings, if possible. It may not be possible.

Even if you need to replace the bushings (go new) any ruined adjuster/ cams etc. may be able to obtained used from a wrecker. I wouldn't go to the dealership for the parts, unless you are in a hurry, and money is not an issue. Its also possible, that you may find what you need on eBay. Again, that's only if you need parts, which at this point you won't know until you get things apart. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. Not having a torch pretty much rules me out. Time is not an issue, but money is. I think I will drop it off at a local shop I know and get an actual estimate. If it is out of our small budget I will just drive it as is and monitor the tire wear. If they start to wear odd and / or chop up I will have to use the plastic card in my wallet, "something I am trying to avoid".
Thanks again guy's and I will let you know how I make out.
Tom.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
906 Posts
As far as I know, the only adjustment on the rearis toe. That said those bolts on the inner control arm are a b***h to loosen, the place that did my rear alignment had a very long ring spanner and was very careful not to round them off, they said all subs they have done are the same, you may be able to get away with removing those bolts only and replacing with new or good S/H.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
if the tires looked OK that were removed, just leave everything alone back there.

I'm not saying that 'refreshing' the bushings etc. might not be a good idea - but it may not be necessary if the car drives/handles well and tires aren't being chewed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts