Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, not sure about specifics yet other than it does have a 5MT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my first Subaru, it's spotless, getting it from my daughter. The question I have is, I live in Michigan, she lives in Tenn. The car doesn't have the 5th gear. Her fiance has driven the car for a couple years this way just using it up to fourth. I'll eventually get it repaired or replaced. But could I make it home in 4th gear at a decent rpm that's not going to hurt anything if I stick to 55mph roads. The motor was rebuilt 60k miles ago, and it has a new clutch (he thought that may fix 5th gear..it didn't) Part 2, from what I've been reading 5th gear is at the tail of the tranny (will this make it any cheaper to have repaired if it's accessible from the tailend? I've read that most issues with them is the 5th gear teeth wearing out. Any input would help. I could trailer it but the cost of that is more than the car for gas and rental. Thanks in advance!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
miles on it?

it surely seems like a keeper even if trailered home, as it has less rust or no rust compared to what is in michigan.

the good news: you can find plenty of 2000-2004 rust bucket/ wrecked outbacks that look just like it. that you can hog a whole trans out of.

(at a pick and pull, or a whole car on craigslist).

(impreza, plain legacy, impreza outback sport, forester, all have different ratios).

Reactions: terry717

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, not sure about specifics yet other than it does have a 5MT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's rust free, which really is a nice option when you live in MI. Just trying to keep expenses down a bit, so I can buy a trans when I get home. Besides being covered in pollen atm this is her. Oh and miles are 216000, with the motor rebuilt at 150k, and a clutch just last year.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,305 Posts
It's rust free, which really is a nice option when you live in MI. Just trying to keep expenses down a bit, so I can buy a trans when I get home. Besides being covered in pollen atm this is her. Oh and miles are 216000, with the motor rebuilt at 150k, and a clutch just last year.
when you get there or ask someone now: put some painters tape on the tow hook cover poking out of the front bumper. as you are about to loose it.

both mine just started to separate and I put some clear glue from a hot glue gun on them.
(not perfect like a show car, but no danger of falling out either.).

____

others may suggest better. but what you can do is try.
it will consume more gas in 4th. so bring a nice 5 gallon can with a spout with you. and if the clutch / trans starts to not hold 4th / 3rd you can limp it to a uhaul rental place and nab a pickup and a trailer. (need to haul subarus 4 wheels up, not 2 on a dolly and 2 on the road,

although with a manual like this one: it CAN be towed flat with 4 tires on the road, like behind a RV. (need the tow bar pieces).

how far is it? (pro trailering might cost $0.67 to $1.00 per mile ...the good news about hiring one, no time constraint as now is as good as 3 months from now, vs. paying the big bucks for "I need it moved this week").

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering about that bumper pc hanging a bit, whether is was cracked or whatever. Thanks for that info. As far as distance from a to b...687mi. Going to be a 13+ hour trip travelling rural highways at 55mph as to not push it. Not sure I'll need a five gal can as there's so many gas stations between here and there. Still going through options and cost difference. Would rather do it the cheapest way to have the money when I make it home to get a trans for it. But the other option of trailering it is a plus because it'd probably last longer giving me the time to find one and save the money back.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,305 Posts
I was wondering about that bumper pc hanging a bit, whether is was cracked or whatever. Thanks for that info. As far as distance from a to b...687mi. Going to be a 13+ hour trip travelling rural highways at 55mph as to not push it. Not sure I'll need a five gal can as there's so many gas stations between here and there. Still going through options and cost difference. Would rather do it the cheapest way to have the money when I make it home to get a trans for it. But the other option of trailering it is a plus because it'd probably last longer giving me the time to find one and save the money back.
check the price on a uhaul pickup, to rent might be $0.66 per mile, plus $45 x 2 days for the nice trailer, plus $80 for the drop fees from picking them up in TN and dropping them in MI. so that is $623, plus gas,

and food / lodging for you. (although napping in the safety of a big walmart parking lot is done too,....less "lot lizards", then a truck stop or rest area).

= makes hiring a guy with a 4 car carrying pickup / trailer, or a 18 wheeler to get it to someplace near you seem like a happy alternative.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check the price on a uhaul pickup, to rent might be $0.66 per mile, plus $45 x 2 days for the nice trailer, plus $80 for the drop fees from picking them up in TN and dropping them in MI. so that is $623, plus gas /QUOTE]

I've got a relative that could use his truck, then rent a car trailer for 144. Gas, and food we guesstimated at around 250. On the plus side to hiring it done, it'll be a bit cheaper to haul it that way. On a side note I have 2 granddaughters I haven't met yet in TN and a grandson and children I haven't seen in a couple years.

Hence wanting to either try to drive it home after taking a bus down, or getting a relative /trailer to go down so I can visit prior to coming home :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ eagleeye. When making the trip down. I may stop at some salvage yards for a transmission for it. Would you know, by chance, what years and models 5mt will fit in my 2000 outback?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,305 Posts
@ eagleeye. When making the trip down. I may stop at some salvage yards for a transmission for it. Would you know, by chance, what years and models 5mt will fit in my 2000 outback?
2000-2004 legacy outback only.

not low plain legacy, not forester, not impreza, or not impreza outback sports.

and to put a auto in it. ...takes more stuff, and wires, (ECU/TCU,...and wires wires wires, and may get odd codes anyway,
a lot easier to go the other way putting a manual in a car that was auto).

and you want them from someplace that you can walk up to the car it came out of so they can't give you the wrong type,...

and be able to trace how many miles are on it, and verify it was there from a wreck or a tree smash. (vs. its there from what maybe a dead trans). problem these have electronic odmeters, so in the pick and pulls / pro junk yards if they don't have a listing for miles and won't let you power up the odeemeter, you are stuck looking up free vin #s on
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/

which may or may not have a listing of the miles in the past couple years. ...its really hit or miss.

_______

that said, I would think you can drive it if the clutch is good, probably make it the whole way at 55mph or so in 4th.

plenty of times I am driving around in 3rd in a 4 speed auto. just pulled down for some engine braking, ...and forget for a few minutes to go back into high.:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts