Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am first-time Subaru owner and new to the forum. Moreover, I am excited to be part of the Subaru family.

It did not come with the owner's manual so I feel the forum can help answer my questions. My OB got 84.5K miles. I asked the local dealer the recommended replacement of the timing belt. The service guy said it's 105K miles or 8 years, whichever comes first. Though it only got 84.5K miles the OB is over 12 years old.

Any thought would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
The service interval is 105,000 miles/105 months, whichever comes first. I would plan to get it replaced sometime in the very near future. Spending the money to get it done soon will definitely be better than buying a new engine down the road. In the mean time if you want to put your mind at ease you can remove the inspection cover and check the timing belt yourself (or have a shop do it). Check for cracks, splitting, shredding, and any play.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
Hello! I am first-time Subaru owner and new to the forum. Moreover, I am excited to be part of the Subaru family.

It did not come with the owner's manual so I feel the forum can help answer my questions. My OB got 84.5K miles. I asked the local dealer the recommended replacement of the timing belt. The service guy said it's 105K miles or 8 years, whichever comes first. Though it only got 84.5K miles the OB is over 12 years old.

Any thought would be appreciated.
just think how many times it's been cycled from sub-freezing to - what - maybe 160-180 degrees. How many times it's been flexed around the sprockets.

How long do fan belts last? Even tires are recommended to be dumped after 6 years nowadays.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
You want the full job, not just the belt.

Belt
ALL tensioners/pulleys
Water pump
Crank seal
Cam seal
Reseal oil pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate everyone's the response. I have scheduled next weekend replacing the:
Belt
ALL tensioners/pulleys
Water pump
Crank seal
Cam seal
Reseal oil pump

Are there any aftermarket brand that can be recommended? GMB, Gates?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats on the new car! I have a 2005 on which I'm doing the timing belt etc which I posted about a few days ago: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...utback-ej25-sohc-4eat-timing-belt-change.html A ton of really helpful tips on there.

After reading extensively and asking everyone I've gone with a Gates kit inc the water pump. The aftermarket gaskets are crappy paper so I went and bought OEM water pump gasket which is metal. I also got OEM thermostat (apparently a must), and while I was in the Subaru shop I got the cam seals, crank seal, oil pump o-ring and PCV valve. Those OEM parts came to $98 which was a bit more than trying to order them online when you add on postage but I wanted to guarantee getting the right parts (I find the online OEM sellers' websites hard to navigate and make sure I get the right stuff - just my inexperience I guess).

Good luck!

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Simon. Since my mechanic is a big fan of OEM parts I will do the same with the thermostat, gaskets, seals, and o-rings. Will also look into Gates kit.

To have some peace of mind I followed SE95's advice on inspecting the TB. Opened the driver side cover and cranked the engine to have a better assessment of the whole belt. It still looks solid. No cracks, splitting, fraying, nor play. No sign of moisture either.

I also listened closely to the engine while running. Did not hear any unusual noise, rattling, nor squeak. There's a little bit of sign of leak under the engine, rear part of the plastic cover plate but too wet nor flooded. No need for concern as of the moment until my mechanic takes it apart.

So far it looks like it's a winner.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,462 Posts
I had a Subaru in earlier this week that had a 420 code that ended up being a thermostat stuck open. The owner was shocked as the head gaskets were done 1.5 years ago with the MLS gaskets and she was told that all the parts installed were OE.

I pulled out a MotoRad thermostat and installed a Subaru stat.

If you have any question as to what parts were used, ask for the boxes or wrapper the replacement parts came in with part numbers. Think "used car salesman". Some techs think you'll never know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts