Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Subaru Outback burns about a quart of oil every 250-300 miles. No leaks or any visible damage...any idea why this is happening?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
394 Posts
How many miles are on the engine? What's the oil change maintenance history? What type of oil are you using? Does switching brands make a difference?

I'd change the PCV valve for starters. In addition I'd check for a wisp of blue smoke when starting the engine first thing in the morning - you could need valve stem seals. Finally, I'd have the compression checked.

TS

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Wow, that's bad when you have to measure it in "miles per quart".

Replace the PCV valve...but at this point that seems too excessive for even that to mitigate. But it's easy and cheap and should be done first. Takes a couple minutes and $10. It can reduce the crankcase pressure - which can force oil through and past rings.

Other wise it's:
1. getting past the rings.
2. getting past the valve stem seals.

If the rings were sticking you could possibly get lucky and have them free up with some seafoam or MMO - i would use large doses (probably more than what is on the label).

What's the history of the engine:
Did it ever sit for a long period of time?
Has there ever been any significant engine work like headgaskets or short block work?
How long ago did this start happening?
Did it go from no oil loss to this significant or has it been growing?

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
i would think it would be laying down a smoke screen if it was burning that much oil.?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts