Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2000 Subaru Outback, crossing over from the Jeep world (so needless to say it is all new to me). I just wanted to get some advice as to what I could do to make my subie more offroad capable. I would like to put a winch bumper on it, and I have even seen a few forums where people have put 15" rims on subarus to allow for M/T tires. I am open to any and all advice as I am just in the planning phase of these upgrades.:confused:

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
You could lift it up, with Subaru Baja springs, spacers on the mounts & new struts at the same time. So far I've swapped my rears out with Baja springs and 1/4" spacers from Subtle Solutions (gave about 1.5" - 1.8" lift over stock height). Planning to do the same with the front. You could also do thicker spacers, to get more lift.

Skidplates for the rear diff & under the engine would also be good to install.

I believe 15" rims will clear the rear calipers, but depending on size of the front calipers, they may or may not clear them. I'm sticking with the stock 16" rims, since 15" don't clear my front brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I figured skid plates would be a must for as low as the car sits, any recommendations as far as brands? A lift is on the list, kind of use to climbing into my car, can you fit bigger tires with the lift or is simply for better clearance?

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,796 Posts
IIRC early 2000 OBW did come with 15" std & 16" optional before the first of several brake upsizings.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Technically the 2nd gen Outbacks are "Legacy Outbacks" but people just call them Outbacks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts