Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 outback with over 150k miles. About 2yrs ago I'd hear a clicking noise when turning to the right really hard. The clicking seemed like it was near the tire area. I figured it was a boot. I had the axel replaced as well as the boot and the clicking remained. I decided to drive the car and it's been over 8months. Recently I'd say the last 2weeks the clicking noise changed. It almost sounded more like something flexing it seemed worse when the car was on an incline and turning right. I thought maybe it was the body of the car flexing. Well today I went to make a right turn and I heard a bang and then lost power to the weeks. There was a loud clicking and when I reved the car it lurched and acted like it went in gear again. I put the flashers on and luckily I was going down hill. I made it to a neighborhood and played around with the shifter. If I had the car in D and put it in P I could still hear the clicking. Now if I turned the car off and then back on while it was in P you wouldn't hear any clicking at all. Even if you put it in D,1,2, or 3 you hear no clicking until you rev the gas. Then there is the clicking sound. If I go into Neutral it seems to stop. But once it starts clicking even if I go into P it still clicks. Again if I turn the car off and on I can go into P or N without hearing any clicking. I'm having the car towed to a Tranny shop.

What I'm wondering is if this thing is worth fixing? I don't have any money for a new car but I could probably scrape up something for a used one. What I'm wondering is what this might set me back. I'd like to get a couple more years out of the car. The car has multiple small oil leaks that seem to get worse when the car is hot but don't leave a puddle or anything when the car is parked. There is one that leaks right on the exhaust and it can cause some smoke and make a really bad smell on a hot day if you're stuck at a light after driving. Just wanted some advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just spoke with the shop

They said the issue was a broken Axel. They said it looks like it has never been touched. I did have a mechanic I know look at it before and I swore he said he replaced it. Maybe he replaced the wrong side? I have no idea but I hope this resolves the problem. I've read in another thread that a non OEM axel can cause vibration. I'll ask what brand they use for the axel.

I had them check the oil leaks too they said it looks like the head gasket. They quoted over 2500k to fix it. I think I'm gonna drive this until the oil get's really bad and look into getting another car.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
it could easily be that the axle on one side was changed when the other side was the bad one. but that is water under the bridge at this point.

glad you got it fixed.

these car / engines can go a long time with the head gasket leaking oil and coolant to the exterior of the engine. the coolant leak can usually be stopped with a $3 bottle of coolant conditioner from the dealer. get one and add it to the radiator. if you continue to lose coolant add another bottle.

the oil will leak, there is no stop for that. not even those ''stop leak'' products that swear they will fix it. but as long as you keep it full of oil, it will run for a long time.

if you can save $100 a month towards a HG repair, you can probably get it fixed in 18 months. $2500 is a high price in my area. it can be done for less.

do not neglect the oil changes just because the gasket is leaking. if you do the repair it will last a long time. if you stop caring for it you may as well drive it into a tree and get it over with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Canubaru,

I am pretty vigilant about the oil changes. I get them every 4-5000 miles. What I was wondering is what kind of gas do you guys normally use. I've had my car serviced a few times and the mechanics always say the fuel filter is filthy. Is that just a gimmick to make me pay more or does the car have issues with regular unleaded?

I do plan to drive the car for awhile even though it leaks oil. I believe the car has had that conditioner added quite a awhile ago.

Not sure if the higher price is because that includes the heads being sent off to make sure they are ok and the timing belt replacement.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Sounds like a gimmick to me, because they wouldn't know if the fuel filter is filthy if they didn't physically cut it open every time to check the material inside or remove it at every oil change and shake it to see if anything falls out.

(it looks like a canister in the drivers side of the engine bay)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts