Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I got a problem I'm hoping someone has a solution.
I was using an air compressor plugged into the cigarette lighter. I was inflating a rubber paddle board. I had the car idling with compressor running. as the board reached it's shut off pressure of 14 psi, the car shut down. I shut off the compressor and tried to re start the car, but nothing happened when I turned the key. No clicking sound, just nothing. I noticed the "security' light was flashing. The door locks worked, but no radio, no head lights, interior lights are working.

AAA came and tested the battery, The tech said it was good. He tried to jump with is portable battery, but nothing happened, his guess was something with the alarm system. Got a tow to my home.
(It's also stuck in Park) Had to push the release to get on the flat bed tow truck.

At home I searched online. I tried the alarm reset: disconnected and reconnected the battery. then disconnected battery with switch in "ON" position- Nothing, Then Turned switch to start 3 times, ( the "security" light disappeared, but no start on 4th try. I checked all fuses including main, SBFs and all fuses under dash.

I looked for the reset switch,but did not find it- My VIN is 4S3BH686917634316, main fuse box says "assembled in Mexico"

If anyone has ideas, your help would be much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
I'd start with an inspection/check of battery terminals, alternator terminals for being physically secure and uncorroded.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I can't think of anything in the lighter socket circuit that, if failed, would prevent starting. Especially anything that would leave power running to lights/security, etc.

So the accessory, to the start part of the key ignition doesn't bring on any additional components...

still sounds like fuse or relay if its not bringing on the headlights/stereo in the accessory/on position... but i'm sure others know more than me will be along soon..

·
Registered
18,179 Posts
"Stuck in Park . . ."

Shift interlock isn't working. Shift lock release is activated when the brakes are applied, by voltage from the stop light circuit.

When the brake pedal is pushed down, do the stop lights work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just a note since i've had the car. It's just a quirk that after starting, the key must be brought to the On position from start. the starter doesn't keep turning, but the radio doesn't work, if you don't move the key back just slightly. could this have something to do with this?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
It sounds like your car has modified modified electrical circuits probably from an after market radio install. With air pumps you should always connect directly to the battery eliminating blown circuits.

Make sure all your fuses both dash panel and under the hood are intact. You no doubt blew a fuse. The reason your radio and other stuff are All screwy is some bad wiring repair ir modification done at some point.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
yeah, similar to above, I was gonna ask if the car had aftermarket remote start or security system, leasing agency with remote cut-out...... Even a previous owner having had one of those breathalyzer gadgets...anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mad mallard.... you were on the right track. I got some other advice about ignition switch. after checking no power to #4 fuse. fuse was good but no power to it. That led us to open open up the steering column. where we found a the white wire hanging ready to find something to short to. I held it in place and she cranked right up. So now i'll fixer up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The other weird thing--the air compressor had nothing to do with anything... The engine stopped when the ignition wire came unsoldered. and the compressor died as a result of the cig lighter circuit not being powered by the ignition. Don't assume anything...use the multi meter.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
woah you mean i was right? yay me! ;p

doesn't it suck when a completely unrelated operation sends you down a rabbit hole from the failure that actually happened?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited; Green/Ivory; Eyesight; Navigation
84 Posts
The other weird thing--the air compressor had nothing to do with anything... The engine stopped when the ignition wire came unsoldered. and the compressor died as a result of the cig lighter circuit not being powered by the ignition. Don't assume anything...use the multi meter.

If the ignition wire became "unsoldered", then maybe your problem did have something to do with your compressor. You'll likely never know how well that the ignition wire was soldered before it failed. There is a chance that the load from the compressor heated (or at least help heat up) the ignition wire, causing it to fail.

To be safe, I'd check the current draw on your compressor. As was mentioned by SubeSailor, it would be best to hook the compressor to the battery.

It is possible that the solder job on the ignition wire was a poor solder joint and had some high resistance in it....and the compressor just pushed it over the edge. But better safe than sorry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts