Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of doing a drian&fill on the '01 H6 OBW with about 130k miles. I have 6 qts of fluid on hand, the AT filter and new crush ring. Should I expect more than 6qts of fluid to come out? Also, should I open the tranny pan to clean it out (the magnet) or can I just drain, fill and replace filter.

If I do take off the pan, do I buy a new gasket or do I use that red liquid stuff.Currently, it looks like it has the red stuff on it. Any input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Just drain it and refill. No reason to pull the pan unless you're the fastidious type.

takes about 2 gal from dead empty but you won't be able to drain what's in the torque converter so yeah, 6 qts is probably about right.

No gasket on the trans pan. Use RTV. . . I use Permatex Ultra Black.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the info...the term RTV just didn't pop into my head when I posted this

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,313 Posts

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
246 Posts
Just drain it and refill. No reason to pull the pan unless you're the fastidious type.
2X You are much better off draining and refilling. Unless you have some other reason more than maintenance I would leave the pan in place.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
thinking of doing a drian&fill on the '01 H6 OBW with about 130k miles. I have 6 qts of fluid on hand, the AT filter and new crush ring. Should I expect more than 6qts of fluid to come out? Also, should I open the tranny pan to clean it out (the magnet) or can I just drain, fill and replace filter. . . .
01 H6 has the 4EAT automatic transmission.

DIY information on changing the ATF is here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/5843-changing-automatic-transmission-fluid-easy.html

On the H6, the external spin-on AT Oil filter might not be on the left side of the transmission; it could be in the left front fender -- accessible with battery removed.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,882 Posts
If changing the trans filter, I'd strongly suggest using a subaru filter, it is all wire-mesh and aftermarket filters are usually paper.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
I can't see how they'd put the H6 filter anywhere other than inside the LH fender, as the normal spot it's located on the side of a 4cyl. Trans is a no-go as the exhaust is in the way. It's there but it's blocked off.

Trans filter is accessed by dropping the front half of the fender skirt down. Removing the battery won't get you much other than a look at the hoses as they disappear into the fender.

I've some rather intimate experience with this as I just swapped a 3.0 into a 2000 Outback with a 2.5 and forgot to pull the H6 specific trans lines and filter before sending the donor car to the crusher, and had to buy them from the dealer to the tune of $200.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
. . . . as the normal spot it's located on the side of a 4cyl. Trans is a no-go as the exhaust is in the way.
That's something I hadn't thought of. I just looked at some of the FSM's I have to figure out where I got off track on this, and noticed that prior to 2005, the fender skirt (liner) access is indicated, but as of 2005, the FSM directs removing the battery. Perhaps the inner fender opening behind the battery or the orientation of the filter was changed to make the filter accessible from the engine compartment.

We also found, as a result of discussion in another thread, that in MY2005 the ATF filter used with the H4 (and 4EAT) was also in the left front fender for some reason, whereas it seems to be on the transmission itself in all other years that there was a spin-on ATF filter. I wonder if Subaru was playing around with exhaust design, and then finally opted for the swing around to the right side routing, which was introduced in some, I believe, in 2006, and pretty well all H4s by MY2007.

I'll have to remember the distinctions . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts