Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been busy tracking down a few oil leaks on my H6. So far I have changed the Valve Cover Gaskets and that helped a lot. Now it seems that I also have a leak coming from the oil cooler. I found a line of oil along the bottom of the cooler, but I wasn't sure if it was from the filter or the cooler. I tied a rubber band to the cooler to act as a dam and this showed that the oil was coming from the cooler/block and not from the filter. I had a look and couldn't see how to remove the cooler. Is there a hidden bolt? Also, would it be possible to change the gasket without removing the coolant lines?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,622 Posts
The oil cooler is attached to the block by the center bolt under the oil filter. You may not have enough room to change the gasket with the coolant lines attached. The hoses are a tight fit already.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and the diagram. No wonder I couldn't see the bolt. Unfortunately, I just changed the oil about 2k miles ago. Oh well, I guess it won't hurt to do it again. My oil cooler lines are pretty rusty, so I was planning on changing those as well. It will be a good chance to tackle everything at once.

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,227 Posts
maybe just tighten the bolt/tube a little?

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, I never thought of just removing the filter. I was thinking that I would have to drain the oil first. I will pull the filter this evening and tighten the bolt a bit. Sometimes is helps to keep things simple.

·
Registered
2001 Outback H6
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday I pulled the filter and tightened the bolt/tube. It wasn't really loose, but I backed it off and retightened it. I reinstalled the filter and went for a 45 minute drive. I left the car in the garage overnight and checked this morning and there is no leak. I only lost about a half litre of oil when I pulled the filter. Hopefully that is the last of my oil leaks for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts