Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been busy tracking down a few oil leaks on my H6. So far I have changed the Valve Cover Gaskets and that helped a lot. Now it seems that I also have a leak coming from the oil cooler. I found a line of oil along the bottom of the cooler, but I wasn't sure if it was from the filter or the cooler. I tied a rubber band to the cooler to act as a dam and this showed that the oil was coming from the cooler/block and not from the filter. I had a look and couldn't see how to remove the cooler. Is there a hidden bolt? Also, would it be possible to change the gasket without removing the coolant lines?

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and the diagram. No wonder I couldn't see the bolt. Unfortunately, I just changed the oil about 2k miles ago. Oh well, I guess it won't hurt to do it again. My oil cooler lines are pretty rusty, so I was planning on changing those as well. It will be a good chance to tackle everything at once.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, I never thought of just removing the filter. I was thinking that I would have to drain the oil first. I will pull the filter this evening and tighten the bolt a bit. Sometimes is helps to keep things simple.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday I pulled the filter and tightened the bolt/tube. It wasn't really loose, but I backed it off and retightened it. I reinstalled the filter and went for a 45 minute drive. I left the car in the garage overnight and checked this morning and there is no leak. I only lost about a half litre of oil when I pulled the filter. Hopefully that is the last of my oil leaks for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
DenisMcG
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing