Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 LL Bean Outback H6-3.0
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never owned a subaru before. Looking at a 2001 LL Bean Outback with 200,000 miles on it but outher wise in great shape for it's age. Is it a good buy at $4000 or should I walk away? How many miles will these engines go??? Any thing to really look closely at???? Thanks.......

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,572 Posts
Never owned a subaru before. Looking at a 2001 LL Bean Outback with 200,000 miles on it but outher wise in great shape for it's age. Is it a good buy at $4000 or should I walk away? How many miles will these engines go??? Any thing to really look closely at???? Thanks.......
i'd get the valves adjusted - you should investigate the cost of that. It would be a GREAT idea to pay a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. Post your city and maybe someone can suggest a shop. Known issues for that model are fairly minor, but torque bind in a soob transmission can be $$$$ to fix.

it's a lot of miles and an 11-12 year old car that has been used and maybe abused by other people. Nothing special about it being a subaru at this point - you should suspect everything might be old or about to fail.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,932 Posts
Mine's at 190,000, engine seems solid. I have been driving it and changing the oil since 55,000 miles, just had the oil pan off (rusted through!), things looked pretty clean, a little gray sludgy crap stuck to the magnet and in the bottom of the pan, but not much.

My advice is if anyone touches the plugs or the valve covers to just go ahead and have the valves adjusted, cover gaskets replaced, and spark-plugs done. The labor on the plugs must be minimal as they are easy to do with the covers off, though, or they are raping you. Essentially it should be the cost of the valve adjust plus parts and some labor.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,060 Posts
Mine is at about 235k miles and is still solid as a rock. I recently asked the dealership service writer about valve adjustment and was told they really don't do it, unless there is a code that somehow leads to the issue. And the parts guy said they don't even stock the replacement shims, so it must be a very seldom occurrence.

If it checks out, and has service records, there is nothing wrong with buying the vehicle. As long as you understand the situation. It won't be a new car, but for what it is, it will serve you well.

·
Registered
H-6 L.L. Bean Outie & 95 GC5 w/2.2 swap
3 Posts
I'm a newby to this site. But not a newby to working in the grease. Get someone to check it. Some one you trust. If you trust noone then at least look. Check the fill tube for oil. Do you see a semi-clean area? Some tan staining is ok. NO MILK!!! If it looks like the barista whipped to much milk, no good! Pull the dipstick. Is the top covered in dark varnish? The fluid at the bottom look like honey? Cold weather will change the fluidity of oil. Varnish can hint at bad servicing. Thick is not good! Thick oil could be they are covering up wear or it can be cold weather. Drive it to get warm and recheck. Mine came to me because a customer went 2x the service and didn't check the level. No oil, no rings. I fixed that after I got the car for 1500.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
I got a 2001 Base Wagon with 197K miles and now it has 203K. Check out the suspension, including the ball joints and other bushings. The rear struts were already replaced when I got it but since then I've done the front struts and right ball joint. Not major items but stuff to look at.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback H6.30 35 anniversary edition
192 Posts
4K is too much for 20 y.o. car however perfect it is. 2K, tops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts