Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably eventually spring for one of these Subie's, but I swear I likely will not be buying one in my area. Used car prices/selection in Knoxville, TN is abysmal.

So, after much hesitation, I have found another one I quite like if only I can convince the seller to do a long-distance transaction. I could fly up there, but I'm game to buy it at a distance and have it shipped. I figure I can pay for a full inspection to give me details about the car's condition.

It is a 2001 LL Bean with 124k. From the pics I've seen, it looks great. Pics can lie, so that's why I'd have an independent inspection done. The seller is asking $4,800.00.

This one looks identical to another one with a dealer price of $7,900.

I love feedback from you all. What do you think of this?

Now if only I can get the seller to agree to this.

Anyone know of anything for sale?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RedGemini, I sent you the link in a pm. No snipers shall see it, lol! Or, maybe no one snipes them? Perhaps I'm merely tooooo sloooowww about buying one just yet.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
is it better than this one?

Your search got me thinking about scarcity of outbacks there, so I looked for myself. Not many, but it's not like there are none near knoxville.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rasterman,
thanks for locating one, but I'm pretty set on wanting the leather interior.

There are Subies for sale, but it is true that the Knoxville area has high prices on used cars (and the mileage on these cars is usually 160k+, that one at under 90k is an exception). I've had fun researching price differences in various locations. I've found that Knoxville ranks in the top five for cities with the highest prices on used cars in the nation. I can net a cost savings of at least $2,000 by shopping in other cities.

I wanted to buy an 02' VDC that I found in SC, but I was tooooooooo slow to jump on it. What was I thinking!

This is the one I wish I bought:
http://www.charlestonautosales.com/...6-VDC-Charleston-South-Carolina-29407/4197374

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I totally understand regarding leather, my current car converted me. Much easier to keep clean, feels nice too.

A $2k premium for local does tip things a bit. I've previously advised you to buy local to avoid complications but your location seems to be a fairly extreme example. So now I'll advise you to make sure the distance factor is the only complication in your deal making. Be ready to walk away from a sweet car to protect yourself, and hope you don't have to! Good luck!

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 5MT
71 Posts
Knoxville!?! 865 for life.

To bad I'm in the bloody hot and crowded 305 right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts