Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
My 1st love - 1983 Grand Jeep Wagoneer (blue & wood).....Now a 2001 L.L. Bean Outback frost green Subaru
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there....
this would be my 1st subaru. I am falling for a very old 2001 ll bean edition outback, with really good inside and out, all electrical works and only flaws are some paint issue on front left and some slight sun cracking below the passengers air bag area. One owner trade in.

whoops, did I fail to mention that it is a a dealers with 184k miles on it and it's only running
on 3 of its 6 cyl......

so buying for 2k and having t looked at, but I am getting cold feet. It runs ok but can hear the motor complaining that it is sick and needs a doctor.

we know about the alleged gasket issue on most 2.5's and some 6.0's.

just was wondering if anyone in 2015 or 2016 has bought a 2001 with high miles and been thrilled after they brought it to the dr. mechanic or is it just a money bucket, like a boat?

thanks for all your opinions in advance...

·
Registered
2001 Outback. H6, 3.0 LL bean
14 Posts
Mid December 2015, I bought a 2001 LL Bean H6 with 194K miles. Pristine interior, exterior was in top shape for year/miles. I paid about ~$3000 for mine.

I bought mine with a barely felt shifting hesitation from the trans and decided to gamble that it was a fluid issue and nothing more dire. I do my own mechanical work, the only thing I farm out to shops are for repairs requiring special equipment (that I can not reasonably obtain myself), so my experience is based on that. I bought mine as a "incognito'" Bug-out vehicle and will be building and repairing it based on that goal if the trans does not show any signs of hesitation since the fluid flush/fill I have done already. (so far so good)

Am I happy with it? Meh .. I get buyer's remorse on every purchase over $100 anyway but yeah, I'm "happy" with it.

I can say that had mine shown no compression on 50% of the cylinders, or whatever it is to gives you a "running on 3" feedback, I would have NOT bought it.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,275 Posts
I wouldn't buy something only running on 3 cylinders. They can fix it to sell it, or I wouldn't give $2,000 for a car that I might have to replace the engine and who knows what else.

FWIW, I just bought our 02 Bean with 101K for $5800 (out the door). Needs a little suspension repair it looks like, but seems mostly mechanically solid.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,779 Posts
from reading here what others type on the subject of 2001-2004 H6

2001 seem to have more head gasket problems,...possibly due to initial year issues

________-

and if its running on 3 cylinders. this could be head gaskets or something even worse.

so unless they are giving that car to you for $1000, and you know you need to buy a $1000 JDM engine and have it put in for $800, then there is no deal in it for you.

________

move on plenty of fish in the sea, ...if you want lower prices with a bigger casting net on subarus

look to North Cali, and avoid Washington (highest prices in the country for what you get is in Seattle it seems).

·
Registered
My 1st love - 1983 Grand Jeep Wagoneer (blue & wood).....Now a 2001 L.L. Bean Outback frost green Subaru
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took the plunge

We went back and saw how nice the interior was and pretty decent outside too. It will need work, no doupt about it... but decided it was a second car, so it will give me so freedom once it is fixed.

:claphead::claphead: only 1500 and i can't wait to clean her up and add some personalization after the doc checks her out.

Thanks for your honest opinions. After looking at so many 2001's on line and at the used car dealers, we saw that they cost about 4k-6k , all "as is" and many just base models. As well, they seem to be selling really fast, despite their age and > 150k miles.

Its a LLBean 2001 outback and love the old school look of it.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts