Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The compass mirror on my wife's 2001 Outback LL Bean has gone bad. The auto-dim mirror itself has failed and needs to be replaced. I have not been able to find the part available on any online Subaru part sites. Does anyone know if this item is still available new from Subaru? If so, what is the correct part number?

Thanks,

Perry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello sixstars,

Thank you for your post. Upon doing some searching it appears that part number H501SSA101 has been superseded. The new part number is H501SFG200. The new part has the compass displayed in the mirror itself as opposed to below it. Before I order one of these I need to figure out if the new part will "bolt right up" (mounting and wiring compatible). Anyone out there who knows, please post your experience.

Thanks,

CobraRGuy

·
Registered
146 Posts
I replaced mine with the newer version with compass and temp in the mirror. The connector fits perfectly but I did have to run a sensor for the temp. The windshield mount was different. You can either have a glass shop replace the mount or buy a $15 adapter like I did. The adapter looks like a factory item, nice and clean. I can probably dig up part numbers if you need them.

Edit: This should help. My new mirror has the Wedge mount but my windshield has the cam-lock mount. It should take 15 minutes or so to install the new mirror and another minute to calibrate the compass.

-Tim

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
5,198 Posts
Cobra, I may have the mirror you are looking for. I'll get some photos snapped up of it sometime this weekend. It's a stock mirror with compass and autodimming out of an 04 OB 2.5.

You can email me at my username / @hotmail.com ;)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Your VDC probably had one, I think it was standard.

-Tim
According to the owner's manual and Edmunds, it was optional. One of the few options for the VDC. That's why I asked if these are pre-wired, since they were easy dealer installed options.

I have the original window sticker, and it doesn't list anything for optional equipment installed. I have, what appears to be, a base VDC... zero options.

MSRP was $32,390

Options listed on Edmunds (mine has none of these):

Exterior Options
Body Colored Rear Spoiler
Rear Differential Protector
Rear Gate Bar
Wheel Locks (Alloy Wheels)
Hood Deflector (Acrylic)
Trailer Hitch
Body Colored Rear Spoiler
Rear Window Dust Deflector
Rough Road Group

Interior Options
Air Filtration System
Electrochromic Mirror with Compass
Cargo Net
Popular Equipment Group 6
Woodgrained Patterned Trim (mine does not have woodgrain on the doors)

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
i can't remember what i did on my 2002...but i installed a mirror with compass and homelink. i did get that same cam lock adapter.

if yours has power then it should be easy...even without power it should be easy, it's fairly basic to run a wire or two, map lights are already there.

my outbacks both already have temp displays on the console, so i'm only interested in getting power to it.

i got the Homelink mirrors with compass and intergrated programmable buttons - i use them for garage doors, very convenient.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
I bought one of these (2 left)

Nissan Infiniti Gentex 453 Rearview Mirror w Homelink Auto Dim Compass NZLZTVHL3 | eBay

The cam lock to wedge adapter:

Mito 50 901160M Honda Subaru Mount Adapter for Gentex Mirror | eBay

^^^that one is about 3x the price the Subaru dealer gets for it. I'll dig up the part no. tomorrow, it's on an invoice at my shop. It was around $10 wholesale.

EDIT: Found my invoice. . . part no. is H501SSA041. $10 list.

And this harness:

Gentex 313 453 Homelink Homelink Compass Mirror Wiring Pigtail for 10pin Mirror | eBay

All told cost me about $75 to add an autodimming homelink compass mirror to a car that had none of those prior. I also replaced a washed-out autodimming mirror on the 2002 OB Sedan I sold recently with a 2004 mirror by using the same adapter (and that mirror plugged right in, both used the flat plug).

On my 2000 OBW that I added all this to, I sourced constant power and ground from the map light and got switched power from the fuse box. Just routed a wire down the driver's side A pillar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
lockmedic
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing