Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in "general" but I should have put it here.
I have a 01 obw 2.5 5speed and I am looking at getting a parts car that is 01 obw auto 3.0. Are suspension, driveline ,axles and brakes interchangable? I might fix the 3.0 ( overheats with no hot air blowing in the car) if it isnt too bad. My 2.5 has new shocks all around and brakes.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
I posted this in "general" but I should have put it here.
I have a 01 obw 2.5 5speed and I am looking at getting a parts car that is 01 obw auto 3.0. Are suspension, driveline ,axles and brakes interchangable? I might fix the 3.0 ( overheats with no hot air blowing in the car) if it isnt too bad. My 2.5 has new shocks all around and brakes.
drive line, NO. (trans has different ratios)

suspension, axles, brakes yes. (OEM brakes maybe slightly better on H6, but fit fine.).

______

the H6 in question may just have a poor rad, porus coolant lines, ...or may have head gasket problems.

if head gaskets: the quick cheap fix is a JDM 212hp 210torque engine. (not the more expensive later 250hp / 219 torque one).
as doing head gaskets on these is not a quick cheap, easy 10 hour job like on a similar year EJ251,..= what it is is long, expensive and frustrating, and may not turn out.

(beware,...some of the JDM importers on ebay are just plain high priced, ...importers typically list the engine in the cars it was used in japan, "99-02", although it fits US/Canada spec 2001-04)

edit: later faster ones, are not all that faster, and need the 5EAT and all the electonic crap from a later 2005-2009 car,

and moved thread to 2000-2004 section.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said he was driving it for 8 months and on a cold day it started over heating and had no heat in the car. I haven't actually talked to the owner yet to ask more detailed questions. The car is fully loaded and everything works. Since my 01 2.5 had a lot of new parts, I was going to swap stuff overy. Ie shocks and brake. The 3.0 has 320000kms and mine has 300000 kms. I think I can get the 3.0 for 500cad. Even if I buy it and part it out, it has brand new yokohama winter tires. There is 400 right there.
I had no idea the head gaskets would be that muchange more issue. Just assumed it would be the same as the 2.5. Good to know. Thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
if thinking about it, find out how much a JDM 212hp 3.0 would be from Vancouver or Montreal importers. (those are typically cheaper then getting one shipped over the boarder from the USA).

is it a VDC with the "VDC " gold badge on the fenders/ McIntosh audio (those might be gone now), or a Canadian Limited?

(I am unsure if Canadian Limiteds came with wood wheels like the equivalant US spec LLBean, or top dog VDC).

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
526 Posts
if thinking about it, find out how much a JDM 212hp 3.0 would be from Vancouver or Montreal importers. (those are typically cheaper then getting one shipped over the boarder from the USA).

is it a VDC with the "VDC " gold badge on the fenders/ McIntosh audio (those might be gone now), or a Canadian Limited?

(I am unsure if Canadian Limiteds came with wood wheels like the equivalant US spec LLBean, or top dog VDC).
Yes they all came with the wood whell except the 2004 H6 base model (cloth seats no sunroof etc) came with a plain steering wheel

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one has the sun and moon roof, leather seats. Guessing it's the top o the line

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
526 Posts
con: not a VDC and 90% sure headgasket issue
pro: cars in Alberta are usually very low rust

1 - 11 of 11 Posts