Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OBW I just bought has a whine noise as you give it gas/accelerate. The transmission run smooth and it drives nice just that noise every time you keep the foot on the the gas. I know the lady who sold it to me and she says it been that way for a year. She ended up buying a new car. I took a chance and grab it.

Is this a common problem and what should I start with first on my quest to fix it?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Automatic transmission? Check the front diff and rear diff for fluid. Chances are they were never serviced and the gear oil thins out and will leak over time. Good chance thats your issue. I highly suggest that you don't drive it till you make sure it has gear oil in the front and rear diff. If the front diff fails its more or less a new transmission you will need.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sailor,

It had front-rear diff trans service, a few years ago. The lady I bought it from gave me the paperwork. I don't see the the timing belt but with her meticulous care that seems unlikely. I will check though.

Will

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thanks sailor,

It had front-rear diff trans service, a few years ago. The lady I bought it from gave me the paperwork. I don't see the the timing belt but with her meticulous care that seems unlikely. I will check though.

Will
check the gear oil level either way

Also there is a simple O-ring seal on the power steering pump known for leaking and sucking air and creating a racket which could be your issue.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,473 Posts
+2

The diff is changed every 15k miles, tranny fluid at 30k. How loud is it? If it doesn't go away after fresh oil, swapping the tranny is sometimes less cost than a front diff repair.

The power steering wine will change with engine rpm at shift points. Diff noise increases in pitch with the increase in rotation/speed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 Outback LTD Wagon
77 Posts
On HARD accelleration my plastic intake pipes whistle, is that what you're hearing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
On HARD accelleration my plastic intake pipes whistle, is that what you're hearing?
My 2001 OBW whines like this too, I've ruled out anything to do with the transmission. My intake piping is all cracked so I think it's a good chance that's the problem, especially since the noise only occurs with high rpm.

I may check the front/rear diff's though

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2001 OBW whines like this too, I've ruled out anything to do with the transmission. My intake piping is all cracked so I think it's a good chance that's the problem, especially since the noise only occurs with high rpm.

I may check the front/rear diff's though
Thanks, I checked the Trans, front/rear diff fluids and it good. It whines like a bearing (only when you give it gas beyond 15 MPH and increases to a steady state but will quit if you take your foot off the gas even if your doing 80) so my next step is to look at the front end. I will take a look at the exhaust too.

Will

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,473 Posts
That really sounds like the front diff or something in the trans. On the gas, torque. Off the gas, no torque.

That negates the wheel bearings. Axles won't make that noise. And there isn't any other rotating parts on the front end.

Maybe get a recording and post it????

·
Registered
2002 OB Wagon, 2005 Impreza RS2.5
10 Posts
If the whine increases frequency with engine RPM, it could be the alternator bearing, or even an over-tight alternator drive belt. If you do suspect this, just drop the belt of temporarily to see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
power steering pump can make a whining noise if the suction hose on top has a bad o-ring, or two.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
I'm gonna laugh if this is actually the classic exhaust leak whistle.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts