Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5l
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who just bought a 2005 OBW Limited with factory mags. He wants to replace them with new mags and has offered to sell me his for my 2001 OBW. Does anyone know if they will fit ? Will it mess up up my odometer ?

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Daniel--

i suspect they'll fit. if you want to be sure, borrow his spare and see if bolt holes line up OK. if he's close enough friend, see if he'll let you drive on em for a day or 2 to determine tire clearance issues with suspn compressed and/or tires at full side lock. you could even tender the $ with the understanding that you have right to cancel within 48 hrs or some such if they don't fit.

on odo Q, measure diameter of each tire/wheel combo...if they're the same or even within abt 3/4", you'll be OK on odo readings. remember that most of em read a little low from factory due to liability concerns on part of mfgr (they don't want to get sued when their speedo said guy was going slower than he actually was....damme lawyers!), so if you're going slightly larger diameter, it still won't be too far off. a speedo shop can measure and tell you exactly how far off it is.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Hello Daniel, welcome to Outback.org! Its always great to have another Canadian here on the board :D

Anyway, I agree with what CPT said. Daniel you'll be fine with those 2005 rims on your OB and I'm sure they'll add to your car's good looks ;)

And as you're from Quebec I have to ask... (if you follow hockey) who are some of your favorite goaltenders?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Subaru has changed some of the lug nut spacing for '05. At least I know the STI (Impreza) is 5 lug by 114.3mm now. It was 5 x 100 like most of ours. Why they did such a thing shakes the heads of millions, but they did it. I don't know what model it affects, but be sure before you try something before buying it. Brian

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5l
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wheel Upgrade and Hockey

Hero Boots - I'm an Aussie living in Quebec, so I haven't been into to it long enough. My fave goalies to date are Martin Brodeur and José Theordore (of course).

I'm sad that I never got to see Patrick (The Wall) Roy play back in the day. Who is that young kid that was signed to the Penguins who played for the Canadian Junior Olympic team (also a Quebecer I believe) ? He has promise as does Patrick Lalime. It was such a shame about poor Lalime's meltdown in the play-offs last year. That's the difference between a good goalie and a great one....

No hockey this year unless you live in Quebec. A bunch of the Quebec NHL'ers are doing a 32 stop tour around the province playing off against each other for the Ronald McDonald House charity. They're going to little towns like Rimouski, Roberval etc. and they have some big names like José Theodore, Vincent Lacavalier, Brett Hull etc. and each game they are bringing in a "guest" non-Quebecer. In Laval this weekend, they are bringing in Brandon Shannahan. I'm going for sure !!!! Good luck finding hockey down-south :p

Daniel S

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Brian--

i was curious abt the bolt spacing change and did some research last night. i think the reason is standardization with other makes....Toyo/Lexus and Ford among others use the 114.3 spacing....it works out to 4.5". so the guys with 05s actually will have more wheels, not less, to choose from if they can find some with the right offset. bw

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Re: Wheel Upgrade and Hockey

As far as what Brian (Heinz) said, FYI Subaru had put the same wheels that are on the 2005 2.5i models on some specific 2004 models although they were a different color. So no, there would be no problem with Daniel putting those wheels on his Outback ;)

Daniel S said:
Who is that young kid that was signed to the Penguins who played for the Canadian Junior Olympic team (also a Quebecer I believe) ? He has promise as does Patrick Lalime. It was such a shame about poor Lalime's meltdown in the play-offs last year. That's the difference between a good goalie and a great one....
Oh my lord! I should slap you silly :twak:

That young kid is Marc-Andre Fleury... who MANY are saying is going to be the next Patrick Roy if he doesn't just surpass Roy althogether. This kid has phenominal athletic skills and while only 19 was still one of the top goalies in the NHL last year (as a rookie no less let alone playing for last place Pittsburgh). And if you you try to find a single flaw in his game... well you'll be searching a LONG time ;)

BTW, Pittsburgh is my favorite NHL team so I'm an avid fan of Fleury. Although I really wish the Penguins were a better team so his stats could reflect how great he really is :)

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5l
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fleury the flawless?

Hero Boots - not to burst your bubble, but I remember this game fondly. 9 - 0 is not a beating, it's a spanking !

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=231108020

I saw Jean-Sebatien Giguere and José Theodore show down on Sunday in a charity game in Laval. It was 4 on 4 play and José shut them down big time. This guy is the real deal. You can keep Fleury, we'll keep José . :p

Daniel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts