Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my oil pan is rusted through, and is leaking oil. Not very much very quickly, but it's still something I want to address. Other than doing an oil change, is there anything else I should swap out while I'm doing the pan? Also, with just over 300k miles, should I use any specific kind of oil, or will any high mileage oil suffice?

Thanks,
-Charlie

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I would clean the suction tube for debris and buildup and replace the Oring between it and crankcase. This will ensure that the system is not sucking in too much air.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
I would clean the suction tube for debris and buildup and replace the Oring between it and crankcase. This will ensure that the system is not sucking in too much air.
good idea

inspect the tube closely for cracks too. Up at the top where it might be brazed together. Some newer imprezas havd shown cracks there - but yours may be an older design.

is there an o-ring for the dipstick tube too?

·
Registered
329 Posts
The two dipstick O-rings are normally fine.

As far as oil... if you find that you are consuming a bit, at 300k miles you are plenty safe to move up to a heavier hot weight (10W-40 in a mild climate, 5W-40 in places where it gets cold). High mileage oil is a ripoff... some of them may have some seal conditioners added, but the vast majority have nothing but a different label on the bottle.

I'm personally running Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic in mine with stellar results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
MudRunner
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing