Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Outback 2.5 with 260,000 Kms automatic.

Car drives very well. Always starts well. No rough idling. No coolant on ground when parked. But slowly loosing coolant somewhere. No over heating issues, only mildly when too much coolant has seeped out until topped off. I put K-seal in to stop a leak, but still sleeping somewhere. I am also getting intermittent p0420 code and manually resetting it. Is this a possibly cause from coolant burning in the cylinders? There’s no white smoke at idle and very little and burst throttle. Do you see p0420 codes with coolant leaks and head gasket failure. These are the beginning stages? I do my own oil changes and tranny fluid changes. I haven’t seen a external leak. Any suggestions?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
2001 Outback 2.5 with 260,000 Kms automatic.

Car drives very well. Always starts well. No rough idling. No coolant on ground when parked. But slowly loosing coolant somewhere. No over heating issues, only mildly when too much coolant has seeped out until topped off. I put K-seal in to stop a leak, but still sleeping somewhere. I am also getting intermittent p0420 code and manually resetting it. Is this a possibly cause from coolant burning in the cylinders? There’s no white smoke at idle and very little and burst throttle. Do you see p0420 codes with coolant leaks and head gasket failure. These are the beginning stages? I do my own oil changes and tranny fluid changes. I haven’t seen a external leak. Any suggestions?
moved thread from "ride of the month"....

yes you can get a p0420 as a initial code. (although that one appears for many many many reasons, as it is so mild.

does your exhaust smell like coolant at the tail pipe when hot or cold?

I would remove the front o2 sensor before the cat, and see if any coolant is there.

and as you put Kseal in,...this engine is probably not worth fixing as that clogs up sections that can not be cleaned. and ones with internal leaks may not turn out great anyway as a head gasket fix candidate. (these EJ251/EJ252/EJ253 SOHC typically only leak oil externally)

so you should be out looking for a similar bodied legacy/ legacy outback automatic with a EJ251 in it to transfer as a drag and drop.

some of these will have the head gaskets done already. (looking at them from the top you might find a little more material sticking out from the head gasket,...or from the intake manifold gasket. ).

there maybe also people where you live that do head gasket work and can take your core and give you one they fixed already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the wrong thread location, and thank you for your prompt response. I think I will do that. I initially bought this vehicle for 500$ as a road beater to work, but I fell in love with it so much I really want to keep it alive. I would probably try to do to the head gasket myself but ive read that if it has internal leaks then the heads will probably have to be remachined. Im not even sure if I have head gasket failure. The exhaust doesnt smell like coolant. Only at hard throttle does it show a little white puff of smoke. If it is HG failure it must be at the beginning stages. I did alot of research, and the particles in K seal are very very small and i dont think it would clog galleries up too bad. It just seems a better alternative than the subaru coolant conditioner (holts radweld) which has very large particles. I will try what you said. The car is running really stronger with minimal leak. Im sure a repair is imminent. Just was trying to do things to remedy it

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
as opposed to other products that are gummy and come in 20-32oz bottles.

the thing about the subaru recommended coolant conditioner is its only 4.4 oz. and it does not seal much. it conditions the rubber and may seal some very small external pinhole weeps.

I think it was kind of a misnomer to call it a "weld" on the part of holts.

and its what dealers put in on all subarus from 1996-2009? (and maybe more then that).

I had a old bottle of it that had separated and it had some hard tiny grains in it like course ground coffee,...and hard stuff at that,...not gummy at all.

--------

whatever you put in, make sure after a couple days pull the rad cap off the cold radiator and look at it to make sure the product is not collecting in the works of a perfectly good rad cap. (a OEM one relieves at a specific pressure in Kpa. unlike aftermarkets that measure in psi).

·
Registered
Winestone Metalic 2000, Seamist Green 2004 Both 2.5 Auto
38 Posts
Internal leakage

I would probably try to do to the head gasket myself but ive read that if it has internal leaks then the heads will probably have to be remachined.
I think the internal leakage (in my case, 2000 2.5 with 260000+ miles also) is combustion gasses pushing into the coolant thru a gasket break. My reservoir is always full and shows signs of overflowing (probably during highway driving), and never is drawn into the radiator.
I've just placed an order for a gasket set and will be trying to fit it in in the next few weeks.
I'll check the heads when and then decide if I'll take them to a machine shop.

Marsha

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The 01’s leaked coolant driver side rear bottom corner of the engine / head. It drips on the hot exhaust leaving no obvious trace. My 01 did this at 63,000. Subaru pulled the head put a multi layer gasket back on and I beat the stuffing out of for 180,000 zero issues.

Its a well known issue with the 2000-2002 2.5 EJ engines. Never ever! Run it hot !!

Mine was taking about 6oz of coolant every 180-200 miles right before we did the head gasket fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts