Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the issue i'm facing.
Checked all fuses, all are OK at this time.This happened Sunday, no symptoms prior.
Any ideas where else to check?
Thanks

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,572 Posts
You've checked the interior AND exterior fuses?

Are you getting power and ground at the OBD2 port? Have you tried an internally-powered scanner or OBD2 cable to laptop?

The green and white(or black) diag connectors are not connected, correct?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
What are you using to try and check the codes?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,717 Posts
have you tried more than one scanner? there have been reports in the past of inexpensive ebay/harbor freight scanners not supporting the ISO protocol.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My generic scanner works on my other Subaru so I ruled that out. Battery disconnected, same issue. Green connectors not connected.
All fuses checked , under dash and hood..

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,717 Posts
hmmm - maybe a pin is pushed back or broken off in the connector?

have you tried connecting after another battery disconnect/reconnect ?

anything going on prior to this ?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
My generic scanner works on my other Subaru so I ruled that out. Battery disconnected, same issue. Green connectors not connected.
All fuses checked , under dash and hood..
maybe remove some fuses and look at them / the wires for green copper corrosion.
does this car get damp inside? (like water leaking through the cowl and on the carpet).

can you get anything from grounding the white diagnostic plug? can you sense power there?
(the one used to count airbag and ABS flashes)

can you sense that there is power at the ODBC port?

@plain OM might remember if someone replaced the terminal port for the ODBC. (rare,...but maybe a few times on this board).

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a p0448, vent solenoid issue.
Fixed broken wires and code was gone all weekend.
Until Monday, then I had a hard fault and code didn't clear.
I recently sold the car, this happened the day he picked it up, told him I'd look into it.
Thanks for the input, i'll update.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
I had a p0448, vent solenoid issue.
Fixed broken wires and code was gone all weekend.
Until Monday, then I had a hard fault and code didn't clear.
I recently sold the car, this happened the day he picked it up, told him I'd look into it.
Thanks for the input, i'll update.
another thought, a short near there that is taking the electrical energy away from the port.
...that is one thing that stays live after the key is removed.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm not clear on the symptom.

OBD code readers that are powered from the OBD connector will usually light up when connected to the OBD port, thereby showing that they are being powered. I note that the Subject "cannot communicate with OBD port". If the scanner is an OBD-port powered type, then do you mean it doesn't show any sign of power, or do you mean it turns on, but doesn't communicate with the ECM, i.e., can't read/clear codes,etc?

Did the scanner work work with this car previously?

. . plain OM might remember if someone replaced the terminal port for the ODBC. (rare,...but maybe a few times on this board).
No, but as has been mentioned, there's been cases of pins out of position.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It worked fine and would read codes prior to this, it just says, could not communicate with car,retry?
I didn't do anything to the car but drive it after repairing the wires for the vent valve. It cleared fine then, even using the Subaru SMIII.
I haven't seen the car back yet to check the wires on the port, it'd be weird something came loose after sitting over night.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
257 Posts
I believe that pin 7 on the DDL connector is the data line for the scan tool. Pin 16 should be 12V+, Pin 4 and Pin 5 are grounds. Do you have voltage on pin 7? I would anticipate around 12 volts.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,490 Posts
Pull the carpet up on the passenger footwell and look for moisture/corrosion at the plugs on the ECM. There will be a plastic cover, but it doesn't always protect it.

If the scan tool is powering up and the DLC is good, then that leaves an issue with the ECM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts