Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first post here so sorry if this belongs somewhere else. I've been looking around for information about this, but can't find a solid answer to this.

So, the 5MT in my wagon has given up the ghost, but my friend has a 5MT from a 98 Forester. I know mine is phase II while his is phase I, would I encounter any issues swapping between the two?

To be specific, the mine's a TY754VCBCA while his is a TY753VJ1AA. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anybody who stumbles upon this thread with the same question, the swap has been done. Here's the details:

The phase 1 5MT transmissions will bolt up to the phase 2 engine just fine. There are fewer bolt holes, so you'll end up with about 4 bolts left over. Not an issue.

I've heard that you'll need a starter from a phase 1 vehicle, but this is not the case. The difference is that the phase 1 tranny has a stud in place of a bolt hole. You can either remove this stud and find a bolt to fit the hole, or more simply, just put a nut on the stud. Not an issue.

There are 3 sensors in the transmission itself: speed sensor, neutral, and reverse. Neutral and reverse are the same with the same plug connector situation, but the speed sensor is a different sensor entirely. This is easily remedied by swapping the old sensor from the original phase 2 transmission. Not an issue.

Everything else is the same as far as tailshaft and shifter linkage, etc. So in short, the phase 1 into a phase 2 situation is completely feasible and pretty straightforward.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts