Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a very nice 2001 Outback that has a noise that's been diagnosed elsewhere on this forum as a bad front differential pinion bearing. I've had lots of other Subarus over the years and am familiar enough with them to accept the diagnosis. Question: Anybody know the flat-rate hours to replace the bearing? Does the transaxle need to be removed? I need an approximate cost of the repair to determine if I want to buy this Outback!

Thank you!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
swap the trans, much easier. if it's a 4 cylinder $500, if it's a 6 $1,000 for used transmissions. if it's still not a good deal based on those parts prices then they are asking too much for it.

yes the transmission needs to be removed to replace it. i gave a friend a good front diff to rebuild his blown one and the fresh rebuild blew not long after. i would proceed very cautiously rebuilding a front diff.

if you're still up for separating the trans to try to repair the front diff then go to USMB (maybe some others too - like NASIOC) - they have some folks with some decent info and pictures who have taking these apart before. they don't post often so don't expect a reply but you can find their old threads detailing the trans guts.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
The only difference for a H6 trans is the gearing, I thought... 2x the price just because of relative supply?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts