Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips or anything to help the process of changing a head gasket in a h6 outback anything would be helpful.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
a JDM 212hp EZ30 (sometimes labeled by the importers as 99-2001 when they were used )

is easier on time / energy/ wallet / frustration. and can be had for as little as $700

_____

what happened to the one you got? typically these pump exhaust gases into the coolant reservoir, and sometimes they get overheated so much they are not a good candidate for doing any HG work to. (...like abused by a previous owner).

_____

we do have a couple threads about the EZ30D HG work though,....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The previous owner was an elderly man in his 60's so I don't believe it's been beat on there isn't any leaks from what I can see it just puffs white smoke out when you drive it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
The previous owner was an elderly man in his 60's so I don't believe it's been beat on there isn't any leaks from what I can see it just puffs white smoke out when you drive it.
what does the white smoke smell like? (coolant,...oil?)

does it start up fine without any smoke? and then it appears when it reaches operating temp?

these can smoke a little when cold, be it from condensation in the exhaust, or a little rich exhaust from the cats not being hot.

_____

is this a VDC or a LLBean? how much rust does it have?

what does it have for spark plugs, ? (should be NGK double plat).

do you have any maint records.? miles on this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The smoke smells like coolant, it only happens after it's been running for a bit and then it's puffs white smoke not a lot but it's noticeable. I don't have the Maint records but it has 195000 miles and it has very minimal rust for being in maine

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
good that it is not overheating. however.

hot temp exhaust that smells like coolant = head gasket breach (edit: I guess??),....and this kind of leak is ultra rare or a EZ30D.

@Glennda5id @idosubaru opinion about doing HG work on one like this,...or even bothering to crack it open to inspect ?

or just a JDM?

______

If you want to go used engine:

I have seen JDM 212hp EZ30D engines around NY/ NJ for $700,....I know such places ship.....I don't know if such things exist closer around boston.

this is just one, Ebay people seem to want too much:

https://jdmnewyork.com/product/00-0...egacy-lancaster-6-3-0l-engine-jdm-ez30-ez30d/

(one member here went from baltimore to NYC in a 99 camry sedan to get such a engine,...on a sunny day, returning with the trunk tied shut).

______

I don't know what you got for junk yards up in maine. you would be looking for a rear end smash or rust bucket 2001-2004 H6 car. preferably with less miles on it then what you got. (head gasket problems seem to crop up around 180,000,...and more prevalent in US year 2001 ).

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Unlikely headgaskets on that motor based on your description so far. Waste of time without more info or confirmation.

If it's not overheating and not loosing coolant it's unlikely headgaskets unless the heads have been previously removed.

If you still want to take a risky gamble download the FSM or endwrench articles on H6s. Replace water pump, related gaskets, headgaskets with Subarus, VCGs, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets and spark plugs while it's apart.

Resurface the heads.

Follow the directions and that's about all you need to do

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
the one EZ30D I saw last year that leaked coolant out the exhaust when the engine reached operating temp,

it did overheat to drive it as per the owner at the time, who got it from a idiot used car lot.

AND it had misfires down the 1/3/5 cylinders. 245,000 miles. (on a 2004 H6,...I did not buy it, but the seller did eventually sell it to someone).

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Does anyone have any tips or anything to help the process of changing a head gasket in a h6 outback anything would be helpful.
Tips? Don't bother. Replace with the best shape engine you can find.

That said, I am not convinced you have a HG issue based on your description. If you were overheating and had a bubbling radiator and/or coolant overflow sure...but as it is described? Not an internal HG leak.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
You. Don't. Know. What. Is. Wrong.

So, without knowing what is wrong, how long it has been wrong, and how well/poorly the vehicle has been serviced, nothing can be said about anything.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
I don't think I've yet heard of an H6 (EZ3.0D) yet that burned enough coolant to be noticeable out the exhaust.
Exhaust into the coolant and pushing coolant out the overflow is the usual failure mode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts