Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2001 Outback Limited. The specs say it should have a rear power outlet in the cargo area. I can't find it. Does anyone know if they all came with it and where it should be mounted. I'd rather put one in where it belongs than add one just anywhere. If someone could post a picture showing where it should be that would be great.
Thanks
Dick

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon EJ259 - 4EAT
121 Posts
It should be in the cargo compartment on the drivers side of the vehicle (the one with the jack in it) under the rear-most side window.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Limited
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup!
It's right there. I looked in there today at lunch but I guess I didn't bend down far enough to see it.
I should have also been a little more diligent with the search button and I would have found my answer earlier.
Thanks Again
Dick

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
Hahaha when I was looking over my car before I bought it I found the power outlet. "Huh, that's neat." By the time I had to use it I had forgot where it was and I thought I was going crazy and remembering things that weren't there. "I could have sworn it was back here somewhere..." I looked everywhere including that little compartment, but somehow it evaded my vision. I actually just assumed I was crazy and stopped looking for it. Some time later I accidentally rediscovered it.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon EJ259 - 4EAT
121 Posts
On my 04, it's tucked away in the top corner of the compartment and is very easy to miss. If only there was an inverter installed back there!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm so thankful this thread exists! My wife got a new(er) vehicle so I sold the old Camry and inherited the 2000 OBW.

I'm a ham radio operator and had to move my APRS gear to the OBW. I just needed 1A of power. Thanks for the reminder there's an outlet there. I think I forgot about the outlet the day after signing papers on the vehicle.

One question about the outlet, is there a method to keeping it switched on all the time? I'd like to keep power on it to keep a GPS receiver and small radio powered up.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,475 Posts
On my 04, it's tucked away in the top corner of the compartment and is very easy to miss. If only there was an inverter installed back there!
Hard wire one in. There is room to mount an inverter under the floor panels and you can extend the plug to where the accessory socket is or just add in a plug near the accessory socket. Just put in an inline 10 amp fuse that's easy to get to so it blows the remote fuse rather than the main fuse if you overload it. If you get a good inverter, you can leave it switched on and it won't activate until something is plugged in. On with the key, off with the key.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Wagon - 2.5L 5-speed
32 Posts
Does the 2000 model year have this too? I havent found the one in my wagon yet.

Edit: I'll be damned! I just found it and am so pleased! This jack will come in handy so often when camping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts