Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so ive looked around and i think ive found a solution to what i want.

I love the look of the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires, i have them on my Truck and i have seen people put them on their outbacks.

Currently my 2001 outback is running 225/60R16 tires. which are a 26.6" tire.

I would like to run the BFGoodrich T/A KO Tires on the outback, Size 215/70R16, which is a 28" tire.

I am also going to install the Subtle Solutions 1" lift spacers.

By my calculations and what ive been reading on these forums they should fit with the 1" spacer right?

Im posting this because i would like to have some second opinions from people before i make the purchase.

Thanks for the help.:29:

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
There is another poster here that ran those I think on stock but I can't recall the tire size he went with. Do some digging I recall a 16inch wheel size they offered which was hard to find that was almost an exact fit. I agree those tires are the best tires made period for cases where you need a solid off road tire that also is nearly as good on road as any tire out there.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Those tires you have now are the stock diameter, correct?

I can't comment on whether the BFG tires will fit, but I caution you to be entirely sure that you can accept the substantial hit in power due to the overall gearing increase, and the extra mass of the tires. They are pretty heavy (34 pounds). Your car will be much slower to accelerate and a real slug on the highway and climbing grades.

OTH, if a macho appearance is important to you, I bet they would look very cool..... They are my favorite All Terrain tread pattern by far, but the two sets I owned in the past (on a 1980 Jimmy diesel and a 1991 XJ Cherokee) convinced me that they ride too stiffly for light vehicles. I currently have a set on my dinky aluminum trailer (for invulnerability on rocky forest roads, running at 18 psi due to the stiff sidewalls!), but I won't put them on anything lighter than a full sized pickup or a heavy SUV like my Series 80.

If it were my car, I would think about installing a set of Geolander A/T-S tires in a _slightly_ larger diameter, for minimal impact on performance. A 215/65R16 is 27 inches OD and SIX pounds lighter - I wouldn't go any larger.... These are great tires off pavement and adequate for occasional snow - I can't recall anyone on this forum who bought them who voiced any disappointment about it. I'm running this size on my Gen 3 (same as the stock diameter) and am very pleased. Again, I can't comment on actual fit on your Gen 1.

Remember to buy a full sized spare! It's especially important for off pavement exploring, and when you have significantly increased the tire diameter.

Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Supporting Vendor
711 Posts
We show a 215/65R-16 as a fit for your vehicle. Going to a larger overall diameter we would recommend doing a test fit.

Here is a link to our tire calculator so you can see the difference in size.

Tire Size Calculator - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discount Tire slapped new BFG Touring t/a's on my ride on Wednesday this week. Nice job good price. They even had a guy going around with a torque wrench by hand double checking the lug nuts prior to rolling the car out of the garage. You don't see that very often at tire shops.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i would love to see some photos subiesailor.

so Discount Tire, your saying i could fit 215/65 r16 BFG ALL TERRAIN T/A Kos on my 2001 outback with no problems? i checked your website and couldnt find that size. Do you have a link?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts

so Discount Tire, your saying i could fit 215/65 r16 BFG ALL TERRAIN T/A Kos on my 2001 outback with no problems? i checked your website and couldnt find that size. Do you have a link?
Touring tires not the ko's but freaking love the ko's had them on my Land Cruiser awesome tire.

·
Supporting Vendor
711 Posts

The BFG T/A KO is not produced in the 215/65-16 size. The smallest size in 16" for this tire model is 225/75-16 which is too tall for your application even with the mini lift. You may want to consider the General Grabber A/T2 in this size. Here's the link with more details.

Ratings, reviews and specifications for General Grabber AT2 Studdable tires

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just slapped a set of 215/70R16 Cooper Discoverer AT/3s on my 05 OBXT. They clear... just barely.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks for the help guys, any body with comment on that exact tire i want fitting my 2nd Gen outback? the BFG A/T KO 215/70 R16? its a 28" tire

Ive beeen reading posts around the interwebs and it seems to me that people have been pulling it off with just the Subtle Solutions 1" Spacers. But nothing concrete. Does anyone have any hard evidence or knowledge from experience?

I would love to get these tires fitted under my Outback.

Thanks Guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
afol2524
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing