Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Outback that needed new front pads at 20,000 miles, new rear pads at 22,000 miles. It needs new front pads again at 35,000 miles! I know brake pads should last much longer than that. Has anyone else had the same problem? Subaru of America says that 15 - 20,000 miles is normal and will not admit to a design problem.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
First, welcome to the board!

Second, that wear problem sounds strange, I certainly didn't have anything like that with my 98. Any chance there's another problem like a stuck caliper that's not releasing when you take your foot off the brake? Does the brake drag, wheels get hot after driving, funny hot-metal smells, anything like that? Do the rotors show unusual wear, like scoring or discoloring (like a motorcycle exhaust pipe)?

Maybe there's something wrong in the master cylinder valving if it's affecting fronts and rears. Or in the ABS?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The Subaru dealer said that the calipers were stuck and that is why the premature failure. The problem is not only on my 2001, but on many others. I have a few friends with the same car - same problem! My dealer says it's just the 2001 Outback- at least the ones on the road in New Hampshire.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Wow, not just you but other people you know ... yeah it does seem like SOA has some problems with acknowledging their design flaws.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thamks Peaty. The TSB clears it all up. Many of the roads here in New Hampshire are dirt, and lots of salt is used in the winter, hence rust on the brake pads. They stick in the calipers and wear out prematurely along with the rotors.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
it does seem like SOA has some problems with acknowledging their design flaws.
hey, they're pikers. the germans like to make their design flaws sound like design ATTRIBUTES----BMW denied the 320i had any front wheel shimmy problems until the day it (mercifully) died, claiming that it just provided more "road feel" than the customer was used to, even customers coming from other BMWs.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts