Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we've changed the batteries in both key thingies.... sometimes we have to walk all the way around the car to get the thing to unlock, or lock. other times it happens right away. is this a known issue? is there a module to replace inside the car?

·
Registered
00 OB 07 OBXT
5,538 Posts
Check the contacts in the remotes. Pull the remote apart and look between the button and the contact, make sure it's clean.

I've had some that got gunky and some that get a strange fluid like buildup, most of the time cleaning them works.

Generally the receivers and transmitters either work or they don't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give this a shot. thanks for the tip.

Check the contacts in the remotes. Pull the remote apart and look between the button and the contact, make sure it's clean.

I've had some that got gunky and some that get a strange fluid like buildup, most of the time cleaning them works.

Generally the receivers and transmitters either work or they don't.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
116 Posts
Giving this a bump.

I have replaced batteries in the original remote, as well as purchased a backup (not quite OEM). They both work about the same (not well and seems to be getting worse). Sometimes have to get REALLY close to the car to get it to unlock. The light's on the remotes always light up when the button is pressed, so don't think that's the issue.

Car is a 2002 H6 VDC.

Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS & 2000 OB
171 Posts
RF interference? Maybe route the antenna in the car away from wires/metal. Don't change the length on the antenna.

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
245 Posts
I sometimes must tap the window of my 2002 OBW LLBean with the remote to get the car to respond...Don't know why, but it is a minor problem. If my car had remote start and had the problem you described, then I would definitely be annoyed.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS & 2000 OB
171 Posts
Don't know on the outbacks, on my impreza, the keyless entry electronics are under the driver side dash.

·
Registered
2002 Outback VDC
116 Posts
I know there is that little alarm receiver on the right side of the dash behind the wood paneling (run into it a few times when working on the radio).

Doesn't appear to really have an antenna on it though. Although I know it is attached with quite a bit of hardware that I MAY have not put all back together. Wonder if one of the pieces was a ground (Sure didn't look like it). Might be worth a look...

·
Registered
14 Posts
My fix was to buy a new remote. I dunno if the stocker wears out but the repro ones on eBay for $30 do the trick. The range still isn't great but it beats standing around for a minute trying to arm the alarm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts