Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time Subie owner. Its a nice little wagon with 150k on the clock. Recently I have been having an oil leak that is being difficult to locate. It drips off the very back of the belly pan. Upon taking it off the left side of the steering rack is saturated with oil. Having cleaned it throughly oil is just passing over it. It does collect on the jack plate. I have ordered a inspection camera that connects to my phone is when looking down in the engine compartment its not very clear as to what is able to leak oil there.

Am looking for others that have had this trouble and what the solution was for them.

Thanks.. Douglas

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
beware the pads on the plastic pan will be saturated with oil (they hold a whole lot ...and that is OK made to do it and keep doing it).

just know if you turn it on its side it will leak out.

easy to spot such leaks if
you get it up on a lift to look at it.

lots of things leak on these though. (cam seals, rear main, head gaskets....in my case all three of those before the head gasket job was started).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The cam seals, rear main, head gaskets.. All sound like the engine has to be removed to effect these repairs. I will follow up in the next few days once I get the camera.

Douglas

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The cam seals, rear main, head gaskets.. All sound like the engine has to be removed to effect these repairs. I will follow up in the next few days once I get the camera.

Douglas
stuff in the timing belt cover probably can be done in the car.

head gaskets (all 2000-2009 EJ 251/252/253 will leak oil at some time as the head gaskets were single layer steel)

= people change all the oil seals. smart people do it with the engine out. as EJ subaru engines come right out. and everything gets clean, installed straight and neat.

vs. struggling. ...worth renting a crane or buying a crane to do. and then sell the crane on craigslist. (maybe with a stand,...or just a steel milk crate or a table that can take 300lbs.)

for a experinced shop it is 10hours plus parts. ($1500-2000 to fork over if you are the one paying)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
you can also post a picture and we can guide you from there.

you generally want to take note on how far:
forward
left or right
and up
you see oil - because oil generally "drips/flows/ends up" back, bottom, and center of the engine. so to find the source you want to look forward, left/right, and of course up.

where it ends up - the jack plate, crossmember, and steering rack are nearly worthless because just about every common leak ends up there.

1. when you say "left" do you mean drivers side? that's the convention but people often flip it.
2. make sure it's engine oil - are you noticing a loss of engine oil or have you confirmed it?
3. ATF lines are on the drivers side - so those are possible as well. i recently saw drivers side ATF hoses leaking on a Subaru.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's. I am expecting the camera that I can use on my phone to take some pictures and post them.. Yes when I say left side I am referring to the Drivers side. If I have to take the engine out to do it right then thats what I will be doing. Will just have to wait until my daughter who owns the car is on break from school...

thanks.. Douglas

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,308 Posts
Thanks for the reply's. I am expecting the camera that I can use on my phone to take some pictures and post them.. Yes when I say left side I am referring to the Drivers side. If I have to take the engine out to do it right then thats what I will be doing. Will just have to wait until my daughter who owns the car is on break from school...

thanks.. Douglas
well time will tell,

here is a pic thread about DIY head gaskets on this engine. (starts out with JDM discussion, as the guy lived by subaru poor LA , and his existing engine was ruined....but you just got happy oil leaks.)..

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ngine-swap-us-jdm-ej251-diy-head-gaskets.html

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
oil pump, cam seals, valve cover gaskets, rear cam plug, ATF leak, oil pan - are all easily done in the vehicle.

rear separator/rear main seal engine or trans has to come out.

headgaskets most people pull the engine but it can be done in the vehicle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a oil leak issue on a 1998 2.2 liter Legacy, and it was the rear seal and separator. An experienced local Subbie mechanic fixed it and it was fine afterwards. Not sure this applies to the 2.5L 2001 model. I got 235,000 miles on mine and this was the second time a old seal was replaced. Cam seal at 150,000 and the rear seal at 200,000. Otherwise, engine runs smooth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well to let all that contributed to my post. I have determined that the driver side head gasket has failed. Am going to be pulling the engine to do both head gaskets. Thanks again for everyones input, it is greatly appreciated.

The plan is to start on the 28th.. One Question I have is how much should I expect to pay to have the heads surfaced. Followed by what do I need to do to the heads prior to taking them to the machinist?

Thanks.. Douglas

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts