Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2001 Outback via craigslist here in Michigan. The post stated that the car had just had the head gaskets and timing chain done ($1,050) and there were 150,XXX miles on it. Asking $2,500 for the vehicle I decided to go take a look. When I arrived the man stated his son made the ad and put the wrong mileage and there was actually 230,000 miles on the car. Long story short, I talked him down to $1,200 and drove the car home. It wasn't until I reached the highway I noticed that when I let off the gas pedal the engine stayed at 3,000 RPM. I thought I had accidentally turned on the cruise control but that was not the case. In order to slow down I had to brake, and when I would brake to 65 and let off the brake it would stay right there. When I got off the highway and came to a stop I could feel the car lunging foreword and hear the engine revving high. I pulled over and put the car into park which then the engine shot up to 4-5,000 RPM with a loud winding noise. I immediately put it back in drive and got the vehicle home. The car ran fine on a test drive around the block but I never went faster than 30 MPH due to the snow. The only thing the owner said was he knew it needed plugs and wires. The check engine light was on and registered the Idle Air Control Valve malfunction. I have ordered a new one online for $12 after my local NAPA wanted $350 for one, but found the one online for me and told me to buy from there instead. I also ordered a new Throttle Position Censor and am waiting for them to arrive in the mail. I'm hoping someone on here has had a similar problem and can give me any information. Would the Idle Air Control sensor cause this issue or could it be a deeper issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated, please and thank you in advance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts