Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is my first post and I have looked around the forum and found similar problems but nothing exactly fitting my problem. My gf was driving to work and the car suddenly died. I check the in and out of the fuel filter and everything is good there. Checked spark and everything is good there as well. It's cranking over but won't start, it sounds like its trying to. I was thinking Crank Position sensor or the oring on the fuel pump. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Sounds like you've got fuel and fire. Assuming checking spark ruled out a weak battery. Did you meter it? Although, that should not cause a dead stop while driving. Alternator? Any CEL or warning lights on the dash? I'm thinking something electrical in nature.

Reply with as many more details about the exact nature of the problem and the timing of the events. Was the car warmed-up? Was your GF stopped or decelerating or taking off at the time? Have you had other symptoms recently? Did you buy your gas somewhere other than the regular place - Joe's super cheap discount type place? Have you done any work to the car recently? We are looking for the point where it went from running fine to not so much.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
I think your first instincts are good and I would check the fuel pump o-ring/cap issue first. Possibly slipped a few teeth on the timing belt. maybe some other possibilities.

H6 or 4? miles? maintenance?

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
What engine?
Miles on vehicle?
Timing belt been changed?
Idlers and pulleys with the belt?

Not enough info given to help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
More info, please?

Really need more info but if it's sparking sounds like a timing issue. Seized tensioner or sprocket? Snapped belt?

For more helpful advice:
Any smoking, other noises, smells perhaps?
Overheating?
Mileage of vehicle?
Maintenance?
Other issues, recent work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
CaliOutback
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing