Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,289 Posts
Probably Subaru liquored them up for service costs?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Subaru stereo adnauseam

Lock medic yes that is exactly what you said before, I don't know why that seemed complicated to me before and BotRedwolf you were also correct chiming in as well . I haven't gotten a chance to do this yet, but I am going to start gathering the materials I need and I am going to go for it, so I'll let you know how it ends up. Maybe by the end of next week. I work a lot. 50 60 hour weeks. As for buying Macintosh stuff, not a chance in ****. I can get pretty much get anything for my car out of the junkyard for pennies on the dollar .

I do have another question for you Subaru freaks, what the **** is the VDC light and, Why why why for the love of God, does it come on and turn off at will when I am off roading? what does it mean? Is it normal? Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,289 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,289 Posts
The way the McIntosh system was wired leads me to believe those folks at Clarion must have drank too much sake during the cherry blossom festival that year as it's pretty silly. The entire rear body harness and dash harness is different, as are both front door cords. Would have been much easier to just use a T-harness to reroute the speaker outputs under the seat, and also a crapton easier to hook up a standard deck after doing that. Why they went the way they did I have no idea.
Also, as a side note, since I just saw this part... It actually was McIntosh Laboratories in New York that designed the audio and acoustics of the car, all of it. They just left it to Clarion to solder and assemble the gear and Subaru to run the wiring and glue in some more sound deadening materials.

Source: Sound and Vision: Subaru Teams With McIntosh Audio to Produce a Landmark Sound System

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So first of all , thank everybody that tried to help me make this happen, lockmedic, bot wolf, and many more. So I got rid of the amplifier and the Macintosh head unit, sold them both together on eBay for 125 bucks, and told the buyer the Macintosh amp might be fried. Then my Kenwood DIN unit came in early, so I got to work. I bought two aftermarket harnesses, one to fit the harness coming from the car dash, and one to connect to the harness coming from under the passenger seat, both harnesses are the same. I purchased some 18 gauge speaker wire, and wired it to just the speakers on one of the harnesses, then covered up the ends of the rest of the wires not being used on that harness. I used some red and white electrical tape to label what wire went with what speaker, and then I just ran the wires underneath the carpet and into the big hole where my Macintosh used to be, like I was told. Then I took the other harness and wired it to the harness that came with my Kenwood head unit, (except for the speaker wires). I then grabbed the speaker wires that were run under the carpet and into the head unit space, and I connected those to the speaker wires on the Kenwood factory harness. Then I crossed myself, said a prayer, and plugged everything in . Fired up my Subaru and voilÃÂ* success!! All four speakers work, everything is crisp and clear, system sounds great I'm happy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you botRedwolf, lockmedic, and many more, many helpful people.
So my Kenwood head unit came in early and I got to work. Purchased 2 aftermarket harnesses to fit my Subaru, one for under the passenger seat to connect to the harness that used to plug into the amp, and one to connect to the harness that comes out of the car dash and plugs into your Macintosh radio, both the same harness. I sold the Macintosh radio and amp on eBay for 125 bucks, and told the buyer the amp might be fried. He bought both anyway. I bought some 18 gauge speaker wire and connected that to just the speaker wires on one of the aftermarket harnesses, then labeled those wires and ran them underneath the carpet and into the dash area. Next I took the other aftermarket harness and wired that to the harness that came with my Kennwood stereo, except for the speaker wires. I then wired the speaker wires from the Kenwood harness to the wires that I ran underneath my carpet. Then I said a Hail Mary, crossed myself, plugged everything in, fired up my Subaru and voilÃÂ*, success!! All four speakers sound great crisp clear, system works great, everything works as it should. I'm very happy! Thank you all very much for walking me through this.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It worked, get rid of the amp and it works!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My Kennwood stereo came in early, so I just got to work today and wired everything up like you guys explained to me. Once you get rid of that amp and then you run wires to that harness under the passenger seat you're good to go. All I needed was two harnesses, both the same one for the dash and one for under the seat, some 18 gauge wire, and it works perfectly. All four speakers work perfectly and everything works as it should! I tried to explain how I did it so other people could read the post, but I guess I wrote too much and it wouldn't upload my post. Sold the Macintosh radio and fried amp on eBay for 125 bucks, I'm happy. Thanks to the many contributors that helped walk me through that .

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,289 Posts
Glad it worked out for ya.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts