Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought a Subaru Outback Wagon, the Limited model and it has a 2.5l engine and automatic transmission. It is very tired, has about 218k miles on it but I only paid $750 for it. So, I am here to learn about Subarus. I do as much maintenance myself as I can manage.

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
159 Posts
Congratulations on your new car. Hope you are mechanically inclined. You've definitely come to the right place. There are some great Youtube videos out there for repairs as well. I recommend starting with MrSubaru1387 and briansmobile1. Plan on head gaskets and timing belt replacement at a minimum.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cajun Aggie, I am going to do the obvious things first. The car cleaned up well and I got it cheap because it was backfiring and would not drive without much coaxing. Also, there was something wrong with the way the car steered when driving it. It had some damage to the left rear and the back lights would not work. Plugs and wires later, the engine was smooth and I found that the steering rack was shot. I replaced the left rear outer light, I am doing the steering rack as soon as the reman unit arrives and using the car in the meantime.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts