Subaru Outback Forums banner

2001 Subaru quit running

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  nipper 
#1 ·
My 2001 Subaru Forester just quit running as I was leaving my house and engine was still cold. The engine cranks over and the timing belt is good. There appears to be no spark to the plugs and I can hear the fuel pump running. I also swapped out a working coil pack? that sits on top of intake manifold. No help there. Can anyone help me. What other electronic component would just quit working instantly?

#5 ·
answer to questions

Lets start with basics.

What recent work has been done.

Why do you say it is not the timing belt?

one possability for it to suddenly stop running is the crank position sensor.
Best response so far. The timing is new and I peaked behind the timing belt cover and watched the engine turn and felt the timing belt was tight. There is no spark and since I already check the coil pack, everything is pointing towards this Crank sensor if it is not some main CPU that is under the dashboard. I am considering borrowing an engine code reader and seeing what that it says is not working. Your supposed to conncect two green plugs under the steering wheel when using the code reader. The reason I don't just go buy a new crank sensor is, I end up buying parts and they rarely fix the problem.

Recent work is heads, head gasket, timing belt.

#7 ·
Were you acceleraiting when the car stalled?

Well a few issues here that i can see.

Were the idlers replaced with the timing belt.
A code reader only reads codes on a running engine.
You can test the crank position sensor using a AC meter. You just crank the engine while looking for a pulse from the sensor. Same for the cam sensor.

A compression test will also tell us if timing jumped.

The coils are fired by grounding through the ECU.

#8 ·
Just put in a new cam sensor switch from a known good engine I have apart and car still wouldn't start. Is there also a crank sensor switch too? The main tensioner wheel was replaced when I did the timing belt. 98% sure its not timing belt, but I can do a compression test. The car was sitting at idle when it died. I would like to also check the two wires going the connector that snaps onto cam sensor I just changed out. Would the mulitmeter pick that up?

#9 ·
Ok they are not switches they are sensors.

stop.

Get a manual, a haynes manual as it does go into detail on how to test things.

The crank and cam sensors both operate the same way and test the same way. I would feel better with a compression test, and there is more then just the tensioner that needs to be replaced, there is also an idler.

How Do I Check a Crankshaft Position Sensor? | eHow.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.