Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Hope all is good. Can anyone tell me why there is a difference in the exhaust port hole on a 2004 2.5L cylinder head which is a rectangle port and on the 2001 they where 2 separate holes just like all the gaskets that I am finding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but what I see that is different is the exhaust pipe where it meets the head is the same as the 2001 2 hole head. All the gaskets I find are that style. I am not finding any of the single square hole gasket. Has anyone seen the exhaust pipes having the square hole style flange instead of the two hole flange

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
The 2004 Heads w/ California emissions received the rectangle port head as well as some other unique features (EJ259)
It an odd duck, the exhaust system is similar to the H6 but with 3 cats & 5 O2 sensors (specifically 2 front AF sensors and 3 rear O2 sensors after each cat).
The 2004 with the EJ253 engine is like all the others.

Are you working on a 2004? Or a 2001 that someone put 2004 heads on?

Here is the PN #44011AE050 for the exhaust manifold gasket from Subaru.
You will never find this gasket at any auto parts store.

The piston design is also unique to the EJ259.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the gasket I need is the one on the right. My car is a 01 and when the engine went bad I put the 04 year engine in it and did not pay attention to the cyl heads because no one said anything and I could not find any info saying they were different. So I have had the engine in for awhile with no problems just starting to hear the exhaust leak because I had to modify the gasket by cutting the center out. I figured I would try and find the correct gasket. Do you know if the exhaust pipe for the 04 is routed the same as the 01 but has extra holes and I could put it on my 01 so it fits the head correctly.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Interesting, the EJ259 engine is not very common.
Sorry the exhaust systems are completely different.
Your O2 sensors would never match up either.

Federal emissions

Cali emissions

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes by the looks of it I would need the two front exh pipes then get them modified to go into my exhaust at the "Y" before the cat. Is anyone parting out an 04 that has those pipes on it or know where I can get them.

·
Registered
1989 Subaru XT6, 1989 Subaru RX, 2004 Outback 3.0 SUS
73 Posts
Might as well find another engine. Those high emission vehicles were sold in California and on the east coast. They run 3 cats, two primary and one secondary. Not really anyway to make it "work" properly, would just be easier to find the correct one.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Junkyard gamble is your best bet or carparts.com.
Nobody is parting these exhausts unless they are garbage, they are extremely expensive parts from the dealer.
Unless you aren't concerned with good fitment then go with Bosal on rockauto.com.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts