Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2002 Forester S to trade my '06 Hyundai Elantra on. Here is the listing

Used 2002 Subaru Forester S For Sale in Parkersburg WV | | Marietta, Vienna & Wood County

Anything in particular I should look for? I know the 2.5 had headgasket issues, the dealer said they just replaced the headgaskets and timing belt. The clutch has low miles too.

The listing still shows a stock photo as they just got it in on Friday. From what I can tell, it has the AWP and appears to have most options. I do know it has a sunroof and a MT. I'm going to test drive it this week and wanted to know if there is anything specifically I should ask about for this year Forester. I like the fact that it's the last MY of the 1st Gen, as most of the kinks should have been worked out.

It has 110k miles and I expect it to last at least the next 5 years / 50k miles w/o any major work. I'm ok with regular maintenance and suspension parts. I feel with the recent work 50k isn't too much to ask for the drivetrain.

I am trading my '06 Hyundai Elantra with 55k for it, I hope to get close to an even trade. I don't feel comfortable that the Elantra has 5 years left in it, and I really hate the AT. I don't want to finance anything, so I want something close in value to my Hyundai. My reasoning is that they are both roughly the same book value, and if I were deciding between buying one of the two outright, I'd jump on the Forester before I'd get the Hyundai. So it seems reasonable to trade. Plus the Hyundai is going to need the 60k service soon and some tires. Am I completely nuts to get a car with 2X the miles?

Thanks for any feedback.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
About this Discussion
0 Replies
1 Participant
vr4Legacy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing