Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read every forum post on here and cannot find a solid answer. We bought a 2002 Subaru Outback H6 as a learning car for my little sister. I replaced the alternator and found the 3 wire plug to be done for--now I got wiring pins.

Is this the correct wiring setup? I setup it like this and haven't seen any dash lights/etc come on anymore.

Fuse is also good too.

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
Yep; I saw it in another thread but never saw a confirmation after it.

I'm new to Subaru; so I want to be sure I don't cause problems for my little sister.
I updated my original post.

·
Registered
18,999 Posts
I have read every forum post on here and cannot find a solid answer. We bought a 2002 Subaru Outback H6 as a learning car for my little sister. I replaced the alternator and found the 3 wire plug to be done for--now I got wiring pins.
Why did you replace the alternator.

Is this the correct wiring setup?
That wiring order should work.

I setup it like this and haven't seen any dash lights/etc come on anymore.
Not sure what you mean by "haven't seen any dash lights/etc come on anymore."

Do you mean that with the ignition switch at On (engine not started), none of the warning lights come on?

Fuse is also good too.
Which fuse?

Do you have a link to the location of that photo? Might be helpful to know the context for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't post links; but it was on here--title of thread is "Alternator connector/terminal disintegrated" .

When I got the car; the battery light and brake light in the instrument cluster was on when the care was running. I found the Alternator fuse in the engine compartment blow (10 amp fuse). I went and got an alternator from Advanced Autoparts; now reading that may of been bad idea; so I will probably order one from D3.

I ended up replacing the alternator, battery, and that fuse--the instrument cluster warning lights are now gone when the car is running.

The only issue I had was being unsure where the wires went on the pin--thus why I located that photo and questioned it.

·
Registered
18,999 Posts
. . . The only issue I had was being unsure where the wires went on the pin--thus why I located that photo and questioned it.
So it appears that the alternator is working. The lights are not coming on when the engine is running -- that's as it should be. Have you checked the voltage at the output of the alternator when the engine is running at idle, and say, at 1200 rpm with some load on, such as headlights and heater fan on? (On the H6, should be around 14 immediately after starting the engine (to recharge battery) and then seems to adjust down to mid-13s, or even high 12's.

In regard to the wiring, if the connection to the alternator is the same as the individual wires in the photo, perhaps go to a recycle yard that has a pic-n-pull, and see if you can find the harness with the connector. Cut it off with a few inches of the harness wire included, and then wire it into the harness on your car. (I believe Subaru used the same standard arrangement of 3 wires, and the same colors, for pretty much all of 2000-2009.) That way the attachment to the alternator would be through the original green connector.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it appears that the alternator is working. The lights are not coming on when the engine is running -- that's as it should be. Have you checked the voltage at the output of the alternator when the engine is running at idle, and say, at 1200 rpm with some load on, such as headlights and heater fan on? (On the H6, should be around 14 immediately after starting the engine (to recharge battery) and then seems to adjust down to mid-13s, or even high 12's.

In regard to the wiring, if the connection to the alternator is the same as the individual wires in the photo, perhaps go to a recycle yard that has a pic-n-pull, and see if you can find the harness with the connector. Cut it off with a few inches of the harness wire included, and then wire it into the harness on your car. (I believe Subaru used the same standard arrangement of 3 wires, and the same colors, for pretty much all of 2000-2009.) That way the attachment to the alternator would be through the original green connector.
I'm looking for that connector now in the junk yard; along with leather drivers seat with airbag--previous own swapped the seat with cloth so I have no air bag and thus CEL and airbag lights lit up. Yes, the wires are pretty much same as that photo and plug is identical--I had to cut back the wire loom to see the colors as time was not friendly to them.

I will go out and check voltage from the alternator output.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
I'm looking for that connector now in the junk yard; along with leather drivers seat with airbag--previous own swapped the seat with cloth so I have no air bag and thus CEL and airbag lights lit up. Yes, the wires are pretty much same as that photo and plug is identical--I had to cut back the wire loom to see the colors as time was not friendly to them.

I will go out and check voltage from the alternator output.
I made some recent posts about airbags/ reading the light and resetting the light in 2000-2004 cars here:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ight-computer-rh-seat-belt-pre-tensioner.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts