Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 subaru outback limited 2" lift
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im not really sure what its called but on my 2002 OB limited I have the plain boring looking AC controller (right above the radio) and I am wanting to know if it is possible to switch out mine for one from the VDC model because it looks nicer and I like the way it looks with the small screen and everything. I looked a while back and I think the connections might be different?, but is there any way to switch them?

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,809 Posts
Any of these higher end auto systems require a whole bunch of hardware changes to work. The dual 'his and hers' temperature adjust system requires a split air box with separate airmix doors and servos. You also need cabin sensors and maybe even sun load sensors.

Net: You'll spend far more than the car is worth attempting to graft that panel to the existing AC Amplifier and subsystem parts.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2002 subaru outback limited 2" lift
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you! I was afraid of that, I guess ill just have to stick to the boring one haha

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,324 Posts
Ok thank you! I was afraid of that, I guess ill just have to stick to the boring one haha
I have both the cars in question.

there is not dual zone climate control (his / hers ) settings in 2001-2004 H6 cars. just one zone automatic with the screen. (all the H6 including the 2003-2004 cloth seat US spec ones). H6 has different A/C bits under the hood too.

I was just searching for a DIY swap thread on google here detailing 2000-2004 year cars and did not find any swap threads.

such a swap is probably easier in a 2005-2009 that had automatic dual zone climate control, and plain old climate were in the same H4 n/a series. (just like swapping any other stuff from a limited H4 to a base model H4 )

as a quick fix, maybe you get a fancier car then what you got.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,712 Posts
you don't have to stick with the original radio - look around at crutchfield.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts