Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I have a 2002 4-cyl auto OB, and there is a leak at the flange between the tail pipe/muffler and the center pipe, before the cat.
I was looking to replace these and was hoping someone would recommend an online parts supplier that would have the parts I need.
The dealer wants over $500 for the parts, which just seems to much.
I would like to replace them with a stainless steel system if possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just get a custom pipe welded in I have the same issue and plan on getting the same thing done... weld = no spot for water to sit and rust it..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so there is no need to replace the existing pipes, just cut the flange out and weld the 2 sides together?? how long will this last?
the rest of the exhaust seems to be in fine shape. I had my cat replaced last year, so i'm not worried about that.

thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well a weld should last way longer than the remove able flanges! At least its okay where I am to do this idk if your state has certain laws but if you go to your small garage mechanic not the big guys he can tell you more...

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
I reccomend just changing the flanges. They're 20 bucks a peice, a local welding shop will charge about $50-90 an hour and it will only take an hour.

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
There is a whole catback exhaust for ours in Burlington in good shape for $25 bucks. You'd have it for $75 after gas. Installation is two bolts, and just putting hooks in hangers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.