Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
Depends on what is bent. There could be a couple of things.

Whiteline makes a bushing that can be installed in the upper lateral link that allows for camber adjustment in the rear if you don't want to fix what is bent.

Is your ride height from right to left the same? The camber could be off simply due to an issue with the spring or the incorrect spring installed.

·
Registered
Audi A8, 2002 Outback
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks I did a bit of poking around yesterday and it definitely looks like the rear upper control arms are shot.

One shop wants $600 to replace them, obviously a big no. The bushings are about $12 each from Subaru so the parts are there to be inexpensive.

Looking for recommendations on how to push this out and push new ones in. I guess if it’s a hassle I could always get OEM ones for $88 aside might be by best option. Of course now I have to figure out how to remove these bolts Penetrating oil is at work as we speak. Not sure if there is some easy Amazon.com cheap tool I can use to push them out, machine shop once $60 aside! The OEM ones for 88 each at parts.com or looking more attractive by the minute :)

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,141 Posts
OK thanks I did a bit of poking around yesterday and it definitely looks like the rear upper control arms are shot.

One shop wants $600 to replace them, obviously a big no. The bushings are about $12 each from Subaru so the parts are there to be inexpensive.

Looking for recommendations on how to push this out and push new ones in. I guess if it’s a hassle I could always get OEM ones for $88 aside might be by best option. Of course now I have to figure out how to remove these bolts Penetrating oil is at work as we speak. Not sure if there is some easy Amazon.com cheap tool I can use to push them out, machine shop once $60 aside! The OEM ones for 88 each at parts.com or looking more attractive by the minute :)
Cut out the old bushings (drill and hacksaw) and install aftermarket poly, then you don't need a pres at all. Bushings might be $60 total for all (4). Or you could do the whiteline camber kit for the outer bushing.

·
Registered
Audi A8, 2002 Outback
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am happy to report that the replacement of the upper control arm fixed the issue. I opted to get the whole unit and pissing about pushing out the bearings seem like too much work. An easy fix and yes I got OEM and a little pricey but not so bad vs $600 a local shop wanted.

Perhaps I didn't really have to do it but the car rides somewhat nicer now but I still have a front end clunk ..... :( see my new thread. Seems like these Subarus need as much suspension work as my old A8 Audi ..... dog rest her soul........

0540AA080 2 $ 2.06 BOLT B-TRANSVERSE LINK
902350026 4 $ 1.48 SELF LOCKING NUT
901000110 2 $ 1.99 FLANGE BOLT
20250AE031 1 $ 86.91 LATERAL LINK ASSEMBLY-REAR UPR RIGHT
20250AE051 1 $ 86.91 LATERAL LINK ASSEMBLY-REAR UPPER,LEFT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts