Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was changing the steering rack in my 02 subie 3.0, and i bumped the coolant tube, and it started to leak. That tube originates at the thermostat housing, and runs all around the motor. I dont want to even think about replacing the whole tube. I could fix it with a piece of rubber fuel line. The problem is the leak is in a area very close to one of the exhaust pipes. I think the hose might get too hot. Can i make a shield to protect the hose? Do you think that might be ok? Also my entire exhaust is falling apart from when i dropped it down to get the rack out. Those down pipe 6 nuts were very tough to break free on a 16 yo rust belt car. Anyways i need a whole cat back exhaust. I see many prices online. Some say i can use a 4 cyl cat back on it. Its a lot cheaper. Will that work? Do i have to use that special muffler? Please advise. Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
both my cars have many welds where the exhaust pipes rotted apart.

I replaced the special H6 muffler with a used one from colorado. (not too rusty). that special H6 muffler has the bypass on it which opens up when you get on the gas.

there was one aftermarket out there,...but I doubt it would be as quiet. someone posted it here for discussion a while back. @Mad Mallard maybe.

______

they do make replacement coolant pipes there for the small metal ones that go around the back of the engine. (trans/ oil cooler lines). they do rust out and people typically replace them with new. I don't know how well a rubber section would do with or without a shield.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts

·
Registered
95 Legacy LS
38 Posts
Just replace that line last week. Unbolt the dogbone, drop exhaust, unbolt engine mounts and raise the engine a bunch. There is a small mounting bolt where the line transitions to the heater hose. Use a pry bar to shift the engine over as much as possible and still a job that will try your patience.

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,150 Posts
FYI, the OE coolant pipe is 14165AA014, MSRP is $65.13

I painted mine (the one to the oil cooler, and as much of the one back to the heater hose that I could reach) with POR15 when I salvaged this car, and it's held up, so far.

My exhaust repair: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/5563929-post59.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts