Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2002 Legacy Outback 2.5 liter and were told that our particular vin# was not on the recall list for putting the additive in or head gasket replacement to fix the leaky head gaskets? The driver's side is still leaking after the additive and the dealership says they won't go good for it because our vin # wasn't part of the recall. Seems awful strange that it has the same exact problem as the other cars and it wasn't recalled. Do they take a percentage of the vin#'s and to heck with the rest? Seems like discrimination to me?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU

Thank you, F.M. Green, I did contact Subaru of America today and the rep was EXTREMELY rude, stating that our vin# was not in the service campaign and my particular motor was not affected and, therefore, they would not pay for it. That's just about fine, but this person could have relayed this info to me without having a hostile and adversarial attitude from jump-street (perhaps she was used to complaints about this very problem and just went on the attack as soon as I mentioned it). Subaru of America may have been customer-friendly at some point, but this is clearly no longer the case. If I had had the service records for the entire life of the car showing that all pertinent services had been done, they may have been able to help. We bought the car with 70,000 miles on it and have none of the previous records. They only saving grace is that we have a local mechanic who works on Subarus every day that will replace both head gaskets for $700. That is half the price of the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Wow, I'm shocked, and sorry to hear that. Personally I'd call back and try to speak to another Rep. or a manager and tell them about the rude guy, but that might be overkill.
$700 is an excellent price though for all that work.

How many miles on the car? Sounds like it's probably 75k+, which is VERY HIGH for only a 3-4 year old car. Still surprising that the HG would go relatively quickly, from all accounts Subaru had taken serious steps to correcting their previous HG failure issues, but you obviously got a bad apple and that's unfortunate.

Hopefully it won't affect your opinion of Subaru's in general or stop you from buying another one in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done Deal

After speaking with the S.O.A. rep and calling back the dealership where I have my service done, we got a "deal" on the head gasket replacement. Part of the problem was the fact that I did not buy the car new and didn't have the service records showing that the car had been serviced at the intervals recommended by Subaru. I don't disagree with their standpoint, because the 60,000 service includes changing the coolant completely. I believe that if I could show that the car was maintained on their schedule, they would have gone good for the whole job. At least they will cover part of it and by having them put new and improved head gaskets in, they will assist in the future should the "improved" gaskets do the same thing(leak).

I did read somewhere that these engines have a high compression ratio(10:1) and if they spark knock, that can increase the pressure inside the cylinders even more, putting strain on the head gaskets. I have noticed a lot of spark knock and the coolant level wasn't as high as it should be either. So, if you have excessive spark knock, don't ignore it!
PETE MORSE [email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
They'd probably have a lot less cylinder walk and head gasket scrub if the cylinders had some vertical bracing. The 2.5L has minimal cylinder bracing in the very direction it's loaded by the movement of the pistons. MLSS head gaskets would help, and I think they're using them now, but it sounds like a chronic problem.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Re: Done Deal

madcat said:

I did read somewhere that these engines have a high compression ratio(10:1) and if they spark knock, that can increase the pressure inside the cylinders even more, putting strain on the head gaskets. I have noticed a lot of spark knock and the coolant level wasn't as high as it should be either. So, if you have excessive spark knock, don't ignore it!
PETE MORSE [email protected]
Greeeeaaaaaaaaaaattttttt! :( :( :( I have spark knock like a mofo. Ever since it was about 6 months old and have done everything under the sun to try to lesson it with no sucess. Dealer and SOA say it is normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, F.M. Green, I did contact Subaru of America today and the rep was EXTREMELY rude, stating that our vin# was not in the service campaign and my particular motor was not affected and, therefore, they would not pay for it. That's just about fine, but this person could have relayed this info to me without having a hostile and adversarial attitude from jump-street (perhaps she was used to complaints about this very problem and just went on the attack as soon as I mentioned it). Subaru of America may have been customer-friendly at some point, but this is clearly no longer the case. If I had had the service records for the entire life of the car showing that all pertinent services had been done, they may have been able to help. We bought the car with 70,000 miles on it and have none of the previous records. They only saving grace is that we have a local mechanic who works on Subarus every day that will replace both head gaskets for $700. That is half the price of the dealership.
My head gaskets are leaking on my 2002 outback what is the name of the mechanic that changed your head gaskets? Thank you

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
My head gaskets are leaking on my 2002 outback what is the name of the mechanic that changed your head gaskets? Thank you
He posted 10 years ago and hasn't been back since. If you want mechanic recommendations you should post or update your profile to show what state you're in. Updating your profile helps with info, feedback, parts, repair, etc.

02 headgaskets:
1. add Subaru Coolant Conditioner - this stops every initial external leak of an OEM installed 2000+ EJ25 headgasket
2. some people add a second bottle

if you install new headgaskets follow these guidelines:
1. use Six Star or Subaru MLS turbo headgaskets onlyl
2. resurface the heads (no need to pressure test or valve job)

make sure whatever mechanic you use does those two steps.

Ideally you install a timing belt kit while it's apart - that has to come off anyway so it's almost no additional labor. Gates kits on amazon are $120.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
idosubaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing