Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 Outback that according the the transmission shop a clutch pack is shot. So I am getting a rev bang between 2-3 and getting worse.

Now I have a transmission from a 1999 Legacy GT that I did a 5 speed swap on. Was working when pulled and looks like it might have been rebuilt as the entire case has been painted.

Now the important question is, can anyone confirm the final drive ratio of either transmission? I believe they are both 4.11 and can confirm both have a spin on filter.
Also Is it correct that the 04 outback transmission changed something and is not compatible with 03 and earlier?

2002 Legacy Outback Wagon 2.5L Automatic: Trans Code: TZ1A4ZCDBA
1999 Legacy GT Sedan 2.5L Automatic: Trans Code: Painted over

If different gear ratio's I will have to track down the rear diff from the 99 legacy, as it was replaced with a 3.9 LSD when the 5 speed swap was performed.

Have been googling the heck out of this, but have not been able to confirm with certainty the swap will work.

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
527 Posts
2004 has the AWD lock solenoid working in reverse compared to 2003 and earlier

you don't mention your engine type, that would be the first thing we need to help you
since you are talking about having a screw on filter I guess it is a H4 cylinders the H6 has a remote filter

H4 had the 4.44 transmission
now earlier H4 from the previous generation ??? I don't know for sure but i think they had the 4.11, same ratio as the H6 second generation

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2002 Outback is the 2.5L H4
1999 Legacy GT is 2.5L H4

Updated original post with that information.

And looking at the rear diff on the 2002 outback I cannot find the gear ratio sticker on the diff, looks like it either fell off. Wont know for sure until I can remove the diff guard.
Looks like I may have to transplant the 99 Rear diff as well if the ratio's are different.

The 1999 Legacy GT (Limited,Canada) Seems to have a 4.44 Auto as claimed by some people on misc forums. If this is true I could be lucky if both are 4.44 ratio.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Hmm, I had thought gen2 legacy autos were 4.11, 4cyl outbacks 4.44, 6cyl outbacks 4.11.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According the the FSM, the Brighton and L Auto are 4.11 and looks like GT/outback is 4.44. There is no 6 cyl second gen outback as far as I know. I thought the 6 cyl was introduced for legacy/outback in the 3rd gen.

I found the rear diff from the GT and it does not have a sticker on it but does have TP painted on top which indicates 4.44

Unless someone can decode the transmission codes I am leaning towards that they are the same ratio.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
According the the FSM, the Brighton and L Auto are 4.11 and looks like GT/outback is 4.44. There is no 6 cyl second gen outback as far as I know. I thought the 6 cyl was introduced for legacy/outback in the 3rd gen.

I found the rear diff from the GT and it does not have a sticker on it but does have TP painted on top which indicates 4.44

Unless someone can decode the transmission codes I am leaning towards that they are the same ratio.

on this board only: gen2 = 2000-2004.

on all other boards/ notations: gen3 =2000-2004. (as they are including the 1990-94 legacy).

subaru started selling the EZ30D in 2001 US model year. JDM lists them as early as 1999. (as soon as they got the later body cars there).

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts

Brighton- so not US?
That might change the rules a little, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
USA did not get the Legacy Brighton models in 95-99? I owned two here in Canada. Brighton was a trim level below "L" You must have got it down there, if perhaps not very common.

Regardless, Brightons are not in the mix ATM.

I have a 2002 Outback, needs a transmission. Consensus seems that it has a 4.44 gear ratio.

Also have a 1999 Legacy GT Limited Sedan Transmission(Entire case is painted, may have been rebuilt). Both have the spin on filter, and as far as I can tell they are both 4.44. Rear end has TP stamp on the 1999 rear diff and the factory service manual lists it as 4.44

Ill have to go with this unless someone can provide new information or can confirm the 99 GT transmission is in fact 4.11 and im going to make a mess in there :)

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
527 Posts
Legacy Brighton had a smaller engine 2.0l engine

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
I think you mean the happy 2.2

I don't think they sold anything with a 2.0 in the US/Canada market until the pokey 2003 era WRX.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
99 Brighton had a 2.2 phase II engine in it. And is a different ratio from the GT

Swapped the transmission out over the weekend for the one that came out of the 1999 Legacy GT, there were a few small differences such as the location of the vent tubes, the top mounting bracket and the cooling hoses. But its in and everything seems to be working.

·
Registered
2003 Outback L.L.Bean 3.0 H6
2 Posts
Here's a reference site if you still need the info.

opposedforces.com/parts/legacy

Locate model and you'll find the final ratio under the TRAIN section

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FSM for both models show that the transmission is 4.44 for the 99 Legacy GT 2.5 and 4.44. Transmission has been swapped and working well for the last while.

opposedforces.com/parts/legacy

Shows 4.44 for both models as well. interesting site

1 - 14 of 14 Posts