Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2nd Gen 2002 Subaru Outback GT_1st Gen 1997 Subaru Outback legacy *Sold*
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this has been my project over the past few weeks.

I took my headlights and retrofitted some projectors.
They are Morimoto Mini H1 bixenon projectors from theretrofitsource.com
Also i put in some 60mm xb Angel eyes from them as well.

I painted the reflector black and took out the orange reflector as well.
the high bulb was replaced with a 35w cree LED bulb as well as the turn
signal.
the parking light is a chrome bulb from stealthbulbs.com

Sorry for the crappy pics, ill get some better ones soon but im really happy with the result.

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess no one likes them haha =P

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Retro looks good. I don't think I would have used the halos though.

I've been thinking of retroing my outback as well. Did you end up cutting the reflector or just go through the bulb hole? How much space did you have after the bulb was installed on the back?

I think I may use a different projector than the MH1. I'm going to try and stuff the FX-R in there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the look of the halo when its on, but when its off the yellow phosphorus is kinda ugly haha. The stock uses an H1 bulb, and the Projector was designed to fit 9006 style sockets, so a little sanding was required, but very minimal.

if i were to do it again i would go with a more OEM look. Id get the single bulb (high/low) headlight assembly and use the FX-R projector with E46 shrouds, and would not black out the reflector, id keep it all chrome.

I like the look of mine now, came at decent for my first try, not perfect, but pretty well.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
Good stuff!! I retro'd some Mini's in my Accord a while back, though I skipped the halo. I've got to put some halo's in a 2010 Camaro this weekend, so we will see if it changes my mind once I see them in person. Good job and I think the black reflector bucket looks better than chrome, that's how I did mine!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fog Light Retrofit

Its Been awhile since i started this thread but i thought i continue here instead of starting a new thread.

So ive been working on Retro fitting some fog lights, and just finished them up this afternoon.

Let me know what you think :D

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback and 2009 Mazda6
101 Posts
Someday I'll have to try a retrofit with the GT/Outback headlights. But until then Ill be going with another set of Legacy (so much more space and install looks so clean!) ones with G37 sedan projectors. Im also not a fan of the yellow that is visible when the led rings are off...TRS said they would possibly come out with diffusers to cover them but I have not seen any updates yet.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
Fog lights look like matchbox or Mini H1 projectors. I'd like to see some output pics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got any night shots??? I have been back and forth on a projector retro in a set of fog lights.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah ill get some output shots tonight, the Projectors are Ford Fusion H11 Fogs with the foreground limiter removed. currently i have 3000k bulbs from the retrofitsource.com.
For some reason one of the bulbs has a very noticeable green tint to it, so i emailed them and there sending me a replacement set of 5000k bulbs.

Ill get some assembly pics when i replace the bulbs within the week. i chose the ford fusion fogs because they are completely sealed from the elements, and i knew they would be exposed because of the limited space in the fogs.

Edit:

I actually forgot i took some when i first installed them haha.

Here are some pics of just the 3000k Ford Fusion fogs on.
And they are level, just my driveway is not haha.

Cant wait to get the 5000k bulbs in, i cant stand the green hue, it looks terrible haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts