Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual says Subaru recommends a snow tire size of 215 60 16 to ensure there are not clearance issues. I was always taught to get a slightly more narrow alternate size anyway for snow tires, before the manual said what it says.

One of the companies i'm looking at for tires says they can't get the 215's except from "Tire Rack .com" and they are pressuring me to get the standard size of 225 60 16 because they say it's not a good idea to get the smaller size.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Lee

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
The owner's manual says Subaru recommends a snow tire size of 215 60 16 to ensure there are not clearance issues. I was always taught to get a slightly more narrow alternate size anyway for snow tires, before the manual said what it says.

One of the companies i'm looking at for tires says they can't get the 215's except from "Tire Rack .com" and they are pressuring me to get the standard size of 225 60 16 because they say it's not a good idea to get the smaller size.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Lee
215/65 R16 will also fit fine on that car...roughly the same "height" as the 225/60s (very very slightly taller), but a little narrower.

I know about the words you're referring to in the manual, but I think it is being ultra-conservative there. I'd be surprised at any 225/60 16 tire not fitting.

For whatever it's worth, my summers are 215/65s because that's the closest size the tire I wanted came in. My winters are General Altimax Arctics in the 225/60 16 size and neither tires present any clearance/rubbing issues whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Either will be acceptable.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The owners manual recommends 215/60R16s, not 65s.

You'll be fine to go either way. I understand the tire shops hesitation to put an undersized tire on, there's a lot of liability there. But just take your owners manual and show them. I don't see why they wouldn't do it then.

I went with 215/60R16s when I got my Arctic Claws last year. I wish I would have gone with 225s. I don't like the way the 215s look. Just what tires are you looking at that they can't get?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking at 215 60 15

I'm told the only distributer that has them in General Altimax Artic is Tire Rack.

I called the Rack, and they recommend the 215 65 16, which is now a third size. The reason being it's more narrow, but the diameter is closer to the 225 60 16's than the 215 60 16 would be.

The Rack agreed with me that the concept with snows is more narrow is better because you have a smaller contact patch and more weight coming down on a smaller patch, so a slightly better chance of a good bite with the road than the standard size...

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
The Altimax arctic is a good bang for the buck tire.

I'd get whichever of the 3 sizes are most easily available to you. My personal order of preference for them would be:

215/65/16
225/60/16
215/60/16

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Another minor benefit to the 215/65/16s is that the speedometer reads a little closer to correct.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Another minor benefit to the 215/65/16s is that the speedometer reads a little closer to correct. "

LOL! I was thinking that might be the case.

So you have this size then?

Anyone else any thoughts?

Lee :29:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a major *budget* operation. No candy wheels! LOL

I can't even get the antenna booster for the glass mounted antenna to work!

L. :29:

·
Registered
58 Posts
215/65's work great as suggested.
225/60's fit perfectly.
I use studded Kumho's on my 03 and studless Blizzak's on my 04.
If you needed more clearance it would be for chains and IMO if you need to chain an AWD car then you shouldn't be driving at that time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a job for years that I had to pick up hospital personnel in ice storms and blizzards.

You're right. If you need chains on a 4WD, something is VERY wrong.

I must say, I also feel the more narrow tire is better than the wider tire. Wider tends more to ride over the snow like ski's, and narrower concentrates more bite on a smaller area. It's slightly better than a wider tire, not sure how significant.

Also, too many things can go wrong with chains, even when used properly, leaving you stranded in dangerous weather. And they limit your speed to 25 MPH...

Lee :29:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
leeleses
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing