Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on this one? Price? There is a pita doc fee involved ($395.00 at this North Carolina dealer).

I'd have to fly in to see it, if it's worth taking a look at it to get an indep. inspection done on it. I really know zilcho about cars, lol so I require a pro to evaluate it.

The dealer does consider offers, what would you offer based on pics alone? What's a market price for this car (based on real sale prices)?
The book price I've found is $7,500 for this car's mileage in excellent condition. Could I realistically get the dealer to take $7,500 in the Charlotte area?

Okay, Subie experts, I'd appreciate your advice. :)

2002 H6 LL Bean $7,900

2002 Subaru Outback H6 L.L. Bean Edition | Stallings, North Carolina | Metrolina Car Club

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Any opinions on this one? Price? There is a pita doc fee involved ($395.00 at this North Carolina dealer).

I'd have to fly in to see it, if it's worth taking a look at it to get an indep. inspection done on it. I really know zilcho about cars, lol so I require a pro to evaluate it.

The dealer does consider offers, what would you offer based on pics alone? What's a market price for this car (based on real sale prices)?
The book price I've found is $7,500 for this car's mileage in excellent condition. Could I realistically get the dealer to take $7,500 in the Charlotte area?

Okay, Subie experts, I'd appreciate your advice. :)

2002 H6 LL Bean $7,900

2002 Subaru Outback H6 L.L. Bean Edition | Stallings, North Carolina | Metrolina Car Club
I think it's a bit high. All areas are different, but I just picked up a 2005 LL Bean with 113k for $6900 from a dealer.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Looks like it's in nice shape, but I agree it's high. I paid $7300 private sale for my 2004 L.L. Bean with 107k on it nearly two years ago.

I'd think paying more like $6500, MAYBE $7000 would be right for that on a lot in this area.

Not sure what pricing is like in North Carolina, though...might be higher since I'm sure Subarus aren't as common there.

That said, the H6 is about as bulletproof as you can get for an engine. Couple of common but minor, cheap-to-fix issues with it. I'd get it checked by a mechanic to make sure there aren't any major issues, but assuming it was maintained it's probably a good bet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like how it says priced below book. That's how stealerships, work get a clean car, price it at or above book hoping someone will pay asking price. Don't be that someone! For that price walk away you'll always find a better deal, unless you absolutely love the car. In that case make an offer be prepared to walk away chances are they'll stop you at the door or call you the next day! Just make sure you leave your number.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Check Craigslist, cars.com and AutoTrader. You should be able to find a similar model for less or a newer car for the same price. Don't be afraid to lowball and if you don't know what to look for make sure you have a mechanic check it out.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Gee, why is it missing the driver's side fog light... completely?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy 2.5i Wagon 4EAT; 2005 Forester XS 4EAT
672 Posts
It looks nice, but to say it's "like new" is stretching it. Unless, of course, that Subaru was sold new missing a fog light on one side, and the fog light guard on the other... :rolleyes:

I'd offer $6k OTD (out the door), and not a penny more. I agree with the others: you could find one newer and or with lower miles for that kind of money. Then you have to factor in your travel (plane ticket and gas to drive it home), plus proper pre-purchase inspection.

I tried to negotiate a worst-case-scenario over the phone before I flew down to FL (see below), but only after trying to get every piece of info out of the dealer beforehand. If it wasn't what he said it was, then I'd take my check and fly back home. I drove it home instead.

You'll want to find out the laws for out of state buyers (if you are from another state) regarding sales tax. I had to pay FL tax, but it transferred (mostly) to PA (read below).

If you're paying cash (or taking a bank check with you), there's no reason they shouldn't hand you the title. I had some issues (again, read below).

In December of 2011, I spied a car on AutoTrader in Florida that was about 45 miles from a relative's house. I figured it would be a nice weekend adventure. The dealer I bought from had a "low" $800 dealer fee that they ended up flexing on to meet my price demands.

The deal on the car was about average, even after I factored in the plane ticket (last minute - $240 one way) and gas to drive back to PA (1,200 miles, so under $200). Average deal for up here, but I came home with a southern, rust/salt-free car. I stayed with my aunt and her kiddies, so no hotel costs. I stopped about half way in TN to visit and stay with my gram and aunt, so no hotel costs there, either. Of course, both visits netted me a free meal as well... ;)

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
Travel & used car deals are still a bad mix unless the car is something extraordinary. If the car is a lemon and the deal goes into crisis, which state laws govern the proceedings?

If you're used to buying & selling cars frequently I'd say no worries, it's just one extra complication. If not, why take on the headache? It can be a very significant one.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Travel & used car deals are still a bad mix unless the car is something extraordinary. If the car is a lemon and the deal goes into crisis, which state laws govern the proceedings?

If you're used to buying & selling cars frequently I'd say no worries, it's just one extra complication. If not, why take on the headache? It can be a very significant one.
Sadly, if the car being sold is "AS-IS," there really isn't too much you can do. The only way for legal action would involve being able to prove the selling dealer knew of the major problem, which would be very hard to prove. The only thing you can hope for is a warranty that isn't useless.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Agree with above..Its too far away.unless you can get it for $5000 or so...........Because you will NOT bebringing it back to that dealer.will you ?

There are H6 LL Bean out there. They are awesome cars. I have a 2003, I bought with 106,000 interior like new.even had the leather smell........got it at dealer because I could not locate one in my area as a private deal. It was a ONE owner car and I was able to speak with othe owners, as well as having the Carfax. I paid $ 7200.00 plus that " rip off" $ 295.00 " dealer fee" That ALL dealers are doing now. There is legislation trying to Make this fee illegal. Hope is passes.................but they will probably " pass it along " with the price.

Good luck and look local...maybe within a 3 hour drive or so....

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Sadly, if the car being sold is "AS-IS," there really isn't too much you can do. The only way for legal action would involve being able to prove the selling dealer knew of the major problem, which would be very hard to prove. The only thing you can hope for is a warranty that isn't useless.
As far as I know, in some states that simply can't be done. MA's lemon law requires that it is able to pass inspection for so many days after the sale.

I ended up scrapping a car that I probably could have sold "for parts" or "as is" for $600-$800 because of that. Couldn't trust that whoever I sold it to wouldn't come back and whine that it wouldn't pass emissions. Drove great other than some rust issues, couple of CEL codes that would be awfully expensive to deal with, and around a quarter million miles.

·
Registered
672 Posts
As far as I know, in some states that simply can't be done. MA's lemon law requires that it is able to pass inspection for so many days after the sale.

I ended up scrapping a car that I probably could have sold "for parts" or "as is" for $600-$800 because of that. Couldn't trust that whoever I sold it to wouldn't come back and whine that it wouldn't pass emissions. Drove great other than some rust issues, couple of CEL codes that would be awfully expensive to deal with, and around a quarter million miles.
That could be. Typically anything sold AS-IS comes with a signed acknowledgement from the buyer and includes known issues (even generalized), nullifying any attempts to come after the seller legally. Each state has different laws, accordingly.

I once bought a Cavalier with clutch issues, and it was clearly noted on the Buyer's Guide (AS-IS document).

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I just did a fast 30 second Craigs list search in just one area of NC - there are lots of decent looking OB's listed for far far better prices from private sellers. Why on earth would you ever buy such an old car from a dealer? #1 mistake never buy a car older than 2-3 yrs from a dealer your always paying too much!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! Thanks for the feedback!

If anyone is wondering, I'm aprox. 3.5 hrs from Charlotte, NC. I'm in Knoxville, TN.

I found another one in Charleston, SC I liked from pics. Minty green/tan leather interior.
2002 H6 VDC 113k miles for $6,980
Yep, it has both fog lights, lol!

What's so great about VDC? How come it looks just like the LL Bean trim? Anything strikingly different from the Bean trim vs. the VDC?
The audio says McIntosh? Apple? Well, I see tape deck and think easy aux-input solution :)

Here's the link:
2002 Subaru Outback H6 VDC | Charleston, South Carolina | Charleston Auto Sales

One more question. I know these retailed for about $30k new. If I buy one? Will I be stuck replacing $30k worth in parts as each component breaks? Just asking because I've had plenty of experience with German automobiles that find every reason to visit the shop for one little thing or another. This is the first time I've bought anything without a warranty on it. New territory for me here. I've driven a few of the Subie Outbacks. Liked them quite enough to want to get one.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the feedback!

If anyone is wondering, I'm aprox. 3.5 hrs from Charlotte, NC. I'm in Knoxville, TN.

I found another one in Charleston, SC I liked from pics. Minty green/tan leather interior.
2002 H6 VDC 113k miles for $6,980
Yep, it has both fog lights, lol!

What's so great about VDC? How come it looks just like the LL Bean trim? Anything strikingly different from the Bean trim vs. the VDC?
The audio says McIntosh? Apple? Well, I see tape deck and think easy aux-input solution :)

Here's the link:
2002 Subaru Outback H6 VDC | Charleston, South Carolina | Charleston Auto Sales

One more question. I know these retailed for about $30k new. If I buy one? Will I be stuck replacing $30k worth in parts as each component breaks? Just asking because I've had plenty of experience with German automobiles that find every reason to visit the shop for one little thing or another. This is the first time I've bought anything without a warranty on it. New territory for me here. I've driven a few of the Subie Outbacks. Liked them quite enough to want to get one.
No, not Apple...MUCH better: Home Theater Systems | High End Audio | Home Theater Speakers | Amplifiers | Processors - McIntosh Labs

To the best of my knowledge, no other car ever had a McIntosh sound system. I've heard it's outstanding. 11 speakers, I think.

VDC is a step above L.L. Bean--Subaru's most expensive vehicle for those years. It's got all the L.L. Bean options, plus a McIntosh stereo and Vehicle Dynamics Control. The other plus is the AWD system has a different torque split--45% Front/55% Rear under normal conditions. The Bean is too variable to really give a good figure, but Subaru corporate says it is normally 60% Front/40% Rear.

That car also has the H6, which is a solid engine. Assuming it's had good maintenance, I doubt you'll be paying huge amounts for repairs any time soon.

Here's a little more information about the VDC for 2002: A 2002 Subaru Outback VDC station wagon- photos and specs

·
Registered
672 Posts
My VDC is a great car. A total tank in bad weather.

The McIntosh... eh... I wish mine didn't have it. The head unit was flaking out, the front speakers were totally blown and it was a ROYAL PITA to put an aftermarket head unit in it. By far, the worst I've ever done to date. I had to make a custom harness to use the factory amp. It definitely isn't made by Apple (Macintosh), but trying to use common peripherals to install aftermarket would make you think it was. I still have work to do on mine once the weather warms up.

That price is good. You still have some room to play, and '02 was a good year, since they started using a switch to turn VDC off and on.

For being the top of the line Outback, I find it odd that the security system was an option, at least in '01. Mine doesn't have it, but all LL Beans do...

If you can steal that for around $6k, go for it... provided everything checks out on it. I paid $3,300 for my '01 with 226k on it.

If you need help doing a stereo install, I'll try to help. It's a long, tedious process.

Check inside the back doors for rust, and poke your head inside the rear wheel wells too.

Also check out both sunroofs. Make sure the shades are there and they work. GENTLY slide them open and close, especially the rear shade. It's best to make sure you slide that one straight.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
For being the top of the line Outback, I find it odd that the security system was an option, at least in '01. Mine doesn't have it, but all LL Beans do...
The other thing I'm not sure all VDCs have is the auto-dimming rearview mirror. I know all Beans have it. Weird that they would have some relatively inexpensive options like that out.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The other thing I'm not sure all VDCs have is the auto-dimming rearview mirror. I know all Beans have it. Weird that they would have some relatively inexpensive options like that out.
Mine is a "base" VDC, as in zero options on the window sticker (have it). Auto dimming mirror isn't there, either.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Looks like a " real clean" car...........I would buy it. Dealer sounds good too.

I have a Bean 2003 awesome cars !!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts