Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Outback auto transmission went out on me. The diff wore out @ 176K. I never changed the fluid. The engine runs good. I have two important questions:

1) What Subraru years and models drop in (electric hook-up, everthing)? Any suggestion is appreciated.

2) Where on the web is a good place to order a used Outback transmission?

Thank you,

Nick

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
F & S Auto in CT.............just google it to get phone number. I got one from them last year for $ 1300.00 with only 50,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
car-part.com is a great source. you can search the entire country for the lowest price or put in your zip and sort by distance to see what is close.

however there is a guy in Lynchburg, VA with a trans for sale. he bought the 01 outback to part out and he still has the trans, FOR CHEAP. he has a thread in the for sale section. i'll try and post the link.

i do not know where you are , but most salvage yards charge about $150 to ship a trans. it would be more for a walk-in but given the price of the trans, $150 i think, it may be worth it.

by the way, what happened to yours?
you said the diff went. more info please.

EDIT: found it.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/67-classifieds/47922-fs-subaru-obw-limited-parts-va-24502-a.html

good luck.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
to answer your question, auto trans 00 - 04 from an OUTBACK or FORESTER will be perfect.

a GT will work but the speedo may be off.

the following will not work:
legacy L, Brighton, or any Impreza

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
To the above I would say if it's an AWD make sure the differential ratios match.

The auto OB has a 4.44 final drive (except 3L 6 cyls), auto legacies have 4.11.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
JDM Engine Depot

Got a 4EAT with VTD for $700 including shipping from Jersey. Just had to change out the line pressure solenoid. Its handling the extra power and torque great.

He doesn't have the transmissions listed as heavily as the engines, but, every engine he has had a transmission attached to it when he got it. Just call him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To the above I would say if it's an AWD make sure the differential ratios match.

The auto OB has a 4.44 final drive (except 3L 6 cyls), auto legacies have 4.11.

Wonder why? Maybe because the tires are 17 inches tall. Anyway, most of the tranmissions lised under Car-Parts.com are from Legacy's or Baja. Maybe the junk yards call an Outback a Legacy.

What is the final drive of a Baja?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
car-part.com is a great source. you can search the entire country for the lowest price or put in your zip and sort by distance to see what is close.

however there is a guy in Lynchburg, VA with a trans for sale. he bought the 01 outback to part out and he still has the trans, FOR CHEAP. he has a thread in the for sale section. i'll try and post the link.

i do not know where you are , but most salvage yards charge about $150 to ship a trans. it would be more for a walk-in but given the price of the trans, $150 i think, it may be worth it.

by the way, what happened to yours?
you said the diff went. more info please.

EDIT: found it.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/67-classifieds/47922-fs-subaru-obw-limited-parts-va-24502-a.html

good luck.

The front diff in the transmission started loudly whining @ 170K. I never changed the oil, so I changed it with synthetic oil. That made things worst. Anyway, I gave the car to my 17 year old son to drive and it only lasted for 2 weeks. It broke down while he was driving, and he called me to pick him up. I drove it back home, but just barely made it. Loud bangs and dis-engagement of the trans barely gave me any forward movement. The engine would spin then catch ( with a loud thump-bang) and give me power. I assume the front diff broke, which may explain the loud bangs and dis-engagment/engagement. It has been sitting for 2 months until I save more money.

The car has 176K so I put no blame on my teenager son. I drove it for 9 years straight. Now I am driving my old Volvo which has 250K on it and no rust. That car will not die and runs great.

Nick

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Did Car-Parts.com offer any warantee?
They are just a search resource.

The salvage yard has a 90-day parts warranty, so if I get it figured out they'll pay for the parts. But parts are always the cheap side of trans issues...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Wonder why? Maybe because the tires are 17 inches tall. Anyway, most of the tranmissions lised under Car-Parts.com are from Legacy's or Baja. Maybe the junk yards call an Outback a Legacy.

yes car-part.com thinks an outback is a legacy. and it is until they made the outback larger in the 05 - 09 years??? but as you delve into it you will be asked for which trans you are looking for, auto vs. manual, outback vs. non outback vs GT vs 2.5L vs 3.0L.

where are you located?

·
Registered
5,935 Posts

Thanks,

Nick
The H6 cars had the same tires, the H6 could just pull the weight fine without the additional reduction, so gearing it up helped the gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
The front diff in the transmission started loudly whining @ 170K. I never changed the oil, so I changed it with synthetic oil. That made things worst. Anyway, I gave the car to my 17 year old son to drive and it only lasted for 2 weeks. It broke down while he was driving, and he called me to pick him up. I drove it back home, but just barely made it. Loud bangs and dis-engagement of the trans barely gave me any forward movement. The engine would spin then catch ( with a loud thump-bang) and give me power. I assume the front diff broke, which may explain the loud bangs and dis-engagment/engagement. It has been sitting for 2 months until I save more money.

The car has 176K so I put no blame on my teenager son. I drove it for 9 years straight. Now I am driving my old Volvo which has 250K on it and no rust. That car will not die and runs great.

Nick
From what you are describing, have you checked for a broken front axle? It does the same thing.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Legacy L Outback Wagon 2.5L AT, 2004 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT, 2000 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT
22 Posts
Broken fron axle?

From what you are describing, have you checked for a broken front axle? It does the same thing.
My car has similar problems. Where would the axle be broken? If the CV boot is still intact does that mean that the axle is NOT broken?

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
The inner our outer could possibly break and leave the boot in place, just spinning the axle in the boot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not. Maybe an axle is broken. I did look the front axles over this weekend, but did not see any breaks. The front wheels will not engage. I did determined the loud thump was the rear transaxle engaging. Then I had power from the rear wheels to move forward. The computer must have determined the front whees were not turning.

Also, I get a grinding noise when in Park.

How do you determine if a front axle is broke?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
Grinding noise in park could be bad front axle.

The axle will be completely physically separated, most likely, and boot torn to crap. Look under the car and follow the axle from the wheel to the trans. It could break on the trans side or the drive side of the axle. It should be very obvious!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts