Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last weekend I decided to purchase another 2nd gen outback. I have been daily driving a 2001 VDC wagon for about 2 1/2 years and I've always wanted it to be a 5 speed so I bought a 2002 outback with a bad engine, 5 speed manual, 213k miles. I figured I would just put a motor in it and sell it, but I convinced myself to make it a project. So far what I have come up with is getting a junkyard EJ22, putting EJ25 heads on it, replace all the gaskets and timing belt, and putting a turbo on it. I found a junkyard wrx with the stock headers, up pipe and crossmember to use to make it "simple". Does anyone have any advice for me? What steering rack will i have to use?

Im not necessarily doing this for much performance, just a cool factor and the experience of doing it. Im not very far into this financially and I have yet to purchase another block yet. Stock motor jumped timing. Im not sure if valves are bent, but the key on the shaft for the crank gear was damaged causing excessive movement of the gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
advice:

slap another EJ252 / EJ251 type in there,

and get a 2005-2009 XT with a dead engine in it, and fix that. = all the wires and parts there so you don't need to go blind making and merging. vs. driving and tuning>:)

then when the turbo car is on the road, you sell the old 2002 to someone that wants it just for what it is.:smile2:

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Oh BTW ...

This is no where as easy as you think. There are ECUs, TCUs, gauge clustered married to mobilizers. Oh, and wiring harnesses. Engine harness, firewall harness, body harness.

Anything can be done with enough tenacity and a soldering iron. But, this won't be easy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh BTW ...

This is no where as easy as you think. There are ECUs, TCUs, gauge clustered married to mobilizers. Oh, and wiring harnesses. Engine harness, firewall harness, body harness.

Anything can be done with enough tenacity and a soldering iron. But, this won't be easy.
Using the stock heads, I am able to still have the stock intake and harness associated with it. Low boost, "simple" setup. Hopefully it will go pretty smooth.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
here is one about a suparcharger, ...less piping.

there are not many people putting forced induction to a N/A 170hp engine for a reason.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/416026-raptor-sc-my-05-california-2-5i-5mt.html

do you live someplace where anyone cares about plugging the car into a state computer to pass? because I don't think that can happen.

vs. say getting a 1995 and sticking a turbo on a good old EJ221, ...others have done that a few times.
...(and a 1995 is ODBC1, so the inspectors don't care about it anyway even in the stricter states).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is one about a suparcharger, ...less piping.

there are not many people putting forced induction to a N/A 170hp engine for a reason.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/416026-raptor-sc-my-05-california-2-5i-5mt.html

do you live someplace where anyone cares about plugging the car into a state computer to pass? because I don't think that can happen.

vs. say getting a 1995 and sticking a turbo on a good old EJ221, ...others have done that a few times.
...(and a 1995 is ODBC1, so the inspectors don't care about it anyway even in the stricter states).
What kind of codes do you think I would run into?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
What kind of codes do you think I would run into?

a lot. the car is listed as having a EJ252's ECU.
might be easier to start with a turbos ECU, but that could make the thing a slow drag strip car with no plate.

the people that bother to do these mods have a tuner working or are expert tuners themselves,

_____

$1500 buys a 2005-2006 XT or LGT with a dead engine in it though. ready to spring back to life ...maybe with a lot more power.
(your sanity = priceless).

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
Yay!

Have fun, and keep me posted.

Use one of these racks. It will work with the subframe from the Rex and the width of the OB.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/315850-gen3-steering-gear-differences.html

I think. But you are on to your own FrankenWagon....Good luck.
I don't think you can use the 05+ Lgeacy/Outback Racks unless you have a 2008+ WRX Cross member.

I have a 2012 STI rack (15:1) with 22k miles if you have an 08+ crossmember or want to cut your WRX crossmember.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
NA-T projects are fun and, mechanically, are pretty straightforward. Your biggest hurdle is wiring/engine management.

I'd stick with the original x-member, you MIGHT have to modify it to clear the up-pipe. I know the Gen 1 needed a swap, and the gen 3 doesn't, but not sure about gen 2.

Check the combustion chamber foot-print on the non-AVLS heads, they may be too large for the 96.9mm bore, causing a "mushroom" shape. "Hybrid" 2.0L/2.5L guys have the same problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today i went to the junk yard and picked up a phase 1 ej22 with 138k miles on it and managed to find a 2004 wrx that i stole the header, up pipe, and blowoff valve (everything else was missing). I got it all for pretty cheap. I just have to find out if the stock 2.5 heads from the original motor are any good. I noticed pulling the ej22 out, its 4 bolt rather than 8 for the tranny, but after reading a little, I should just have to drill and tap a hole for the starter and be okay. As far as the crossmember goes, the wrx at the junkyard had it still intact, but I guess I will see what to do with the stock one. I can cut and reinforce it if needed.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
where where in the wide wide world of sports are you , to find such things unrusted and is it warm and nice enough to pick them?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where where in the wide wide world of sports are you , to find such things unrusted and is it warm and nice enough to pick them?
Im in Central Pennsylvania, my 01 VDC wagon has no rust, this 02 has some developing in the normal areas, but nothing terrible. Weather has been iffy, but im just doing what i can. I dont have an indoor shop yet either. It was in the 40s and windy pulling a motor at the yard on saturday.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to keep this thread alive because im making a lot of progress on this build lately. The engine is almost ready. I took the junkyard ej22e, used the stock ej25 heads on it with cometic ej22t head gaskets. Got the 2.5 timing belt with new pulleys and tensioners installed and timed. I had to change the water pump to one from a wrx along with the wrx thermostat housing to clear the headers. Installed a sandwich plate for a feed line to turbo and oil pressure sensor. I got a 10:1 OBX fmu along with a Walbro 255 fuel pump. AEM wideband, Emusa 16g turbo. Stock 2006 sti down pipe. Sparco terra gold 17 inch rims which i mounted on my h6 outback until the project is ready. Just got done welding a bung on the oil pan for the oil return line. I still need to cut the crossmember to clear the up pipe. Just a few more things before i can drop the motor in. The one issue im coming up with is the turbo hitting a few things. The up pipe had to be slightly dented because it was touching the back corner of the head, im not sure why. I found the stainless up pipe out of a junk yard wrx and had to reweld it because of some cracks. It may just be cheap and not fitting well or just because its not on a wrx engine. The biggest issue right now is that the turbo is hitting the fuel rail along with the wiring harness plugs that are right up where the bellhousing is. I have been looking at some ej22 diy turbo projects and havent seen any mention of it. Does anyone know what i can do? Try another up pipe maybe? I included some pictures of the up pipe clearance and the wiring plugs with the fuel rail.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess the biggest problem im having is that not many people turbo the ej251 because its not going to handle boost. So while im using the ej251 intake, im having issues that the ej22e turbo projects wont have.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,298 Posts
Don't do that to a VDC please. Just sell the VDC as is.

Buy another donor car or a Gen 3 with a blown engine (plentiful and cheap).

I mean ultimately it's your stuff and your decision but if the VDC is in good condition that is the highest trim level and also the rarest of the Gen 2's.

I'll buy it off you as is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im not doing it to a VDC. Read the first few posts.
Don't do that to a VDC please. Just sell the VDC as is.

Buy another donor car or a Gen 3 with a blown engine (plentiful and cheap).

I mean ultimately it's your stuff and your decision but if the VDC is in good condition that is the highest trim level and also the rarest of the Gen 2's.

I'll buy it off you as is.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,298 Posts
1 - 20 of 64 Posts